PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My New Personal Website
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:19 pm 
DevNet Master

Hello, world!

Just finished and uploaded the latest revision of my website. I think it's really cool. I had more fun on this one than any other website I've made :D . Attention to detail. That was one of my big goals.

The first thing to do, was to model/animate/render the logo (I know, it's awesome, right?) in Blender (2.5). Then I started working with some layout concepts. The one I ultimately chose was cool because it didn't require any home-page content. Plus, the visitor is blown away by the huge logo. The background needed something, so I put in the diagonal line pattern.

CSS and Javascript are seperated from the HTML entirely. There's not so much as an event to be seen in the main HTML document. There are two CSS files, one for the pages loaded with AJAX, and one for the normal document. Back buttons work. Also, I went to the extra effort, and made the site work without Javascript enabled. Try it out.

Mootools. This is the first time I've used a framework of any kind (for any language). Needless to say, I LOVE IT!!! It really sped up development time, and reduced the overall size of my code.

There's ashamedly not much PHP to speak of. There's an email form on the contact page, and a smidgen of syntax highlighting on the about page. That's about it. Sorry. :(

Speaking of the contact form, there's no captcha! I did a lot of research and found out how to circumvent most spam bots without one. I know this is all old news to you all, but I thought that was pretty cool. Plus, all of the inputs are interactively validated (and then re-validated by PHP). This is the first time I've done that, too.

The lists on the portfolio page and skillset pages are both populated by an XML file. That makes adding stuff easier for me, obviously.

Oh! One more thing: the blog page. It's not finished, but I did make it a little more interesting than the average "under construction" page.

I've learned a lot from this project. When I feel like it, I'll go through the CSS and optimize a bit; and give all definitions and styles a logical order.

What do you think?

P.S., click the center of the logo on the home page. A little treat for you.

Edit: forgot, here's the link, http://nucleussystems.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:48 pm 
DevNet Master

Hm. Just checked in IE8, and it doesn't like it. Haven't done it already because I don't switch over to Windows often. Looks like I've got a bit more work to do :(

The spinny atom doesn't work, the text boxes have white backgrounds (which doesn't play nicely with the white text :? ). Plus, I'm getting several Javascript errors.

Why can't IE just drop dead? :evil:

Edit: fixed textbox background, used transparent instead of inherit.
Edit: fixed spinny atom, was firing an event it wasn't supposed to.
Edit: all Javascript errors are ignorable.
Edit: just tested on Safari. Wow, the animations are so smooth. Everything displays nicely.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:04 pm 
DevNet Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:06 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:04 pm 
DevNet Master

Both ideas done. But Firefox/Chromium/Safari don't support them styled scrollbars :(. I just might go with some Mootools scrollbars. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:46 pm 
DevNet Master

I don't think putting programming jokes in the 'about' page is helpful to a client. In addition to saying you're only 16. I'm not saying it shows a lack of maturity, but there are some clients who may look at it that way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:09 pm 
DevNet Master

You have a point. Looking at it, I wrote it more for fellow developers, not potential clients. Any clever ideas for incorporating both?

As to the subject of age, I was trying to put all my cards on the table, so to speak. If they don't want a sixteen year-old developer, I'd rather they say "no" now than later, agreed?

Post subject: OpenID Landing Page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:18 pm 
DevNet Master

Just ~completed my OpenID landing page. I've never seen a "universal feed" like I made on it, but I'm sure something like it is out there. Right now it only pulls in updates from Twitter, Sourceforge, Stackoverflow, and PHPDN. To get updates from PHPDN, I scrape the "user posts" page. To any mods starting to frown, don't panic: I cache the page. It's only update maximum every one hour. And that's only if anyone visits. Same with Stackoverflow and Sourceforge.

http://nucleussystems.com/jonahbron/

Still have some things to do on it, but it's pretty much finished. As always, Progressive Enhancement (is that supposed to be capitalized?) was kept in mind during development. Also, this is the first project in which I've used SVN. Pretty sweet. As time goes by I'll add aggregation for other stuff (like my blog).

Edit: forgot to mention. I don't actually think anybody would be that interested in what I'm doing, it's just a cool project, and I wanted to put something interesting on my landing page.

Last edited by Jonah Bron on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:05 am 
DevNet Master

There are some problems viewing your contact form page with Opera (v10.10):
* I can't see what I'm typing
* I don't see any labels for the text input fields.

EDIT: I've just seen it in FF - you've put the labels as default values ... OK :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 am 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:36 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:27 pm 
DevNet Master

Your argument seems valid. I'll have to take it up with my business consultant (my dad), and see what he thinks.

p.s. is that you in your avatar?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:34 pm 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:35 pm 
Site Admin