PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:13 am 
Forum Newbie

Hey guys I am pretty new to PHP and have been learning on my own and the help of others

I seen an idea on the internet while searching and decided to go ahead and add onto the sample code and further test the theory out. The code is based on providing a way to hide the real url of a video that is being played on a website. It seemed not so much on the user friendly side to use so i added some features to it, while experimenting and learning PHP.
The project is for school and I called the project VURL-e
The source is available for criticizing at

I now there is a lot of bugs and what not but you have to remember that This is my first real attempt to write a script other than the standard "Hello World" ones.

Be honest and please give advise to how I can make it better.

Thanks everyone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:17 am 
DevNet Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:35 pm 
Forum Newbie

Thanks for your input

I put the characters only because i did not know for sure yet how to handle information going into a VARCHAR field in MySQL. I know now how that works so I am changing that. I am looking into the SHA and hash now and I am going to start putting that into the script.
I am also looking to add session support for the videostream.php so that when the video is downloaded through direct linking or however, they only get a file saying " Permission Denied ". I am still looking how to work this but I have a good idea how I am going to do that.

I know there is no way to prevent progressive downloading to the computer but this is a attempt to add a little bit more security to a already existing site that don't have a stream media server.

Thanks again for the insite.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:06 am 
Forum Commoner

I don't know, the best suggestion for you is to write clean code, rather than just to write. Try to think what do you need, plan your source, how many actions your script must to handle(i's not so boring) Everything must be in the appropriate place. If you want, i can recreate your whole program just for the sake of idea.

Some notes about your css and html;
1. It would be better for you to write all the css contents in the appropriate place.(Use external files that you created in the CSS folder rather than in some like install.php)
2. HTML :
a) bgcolor => deprecated;
b) width => deprecated;
<li class="TabbedPanelsTab" tabindex="0">Upload A Video</li>
<li class="TabbedPanelsTab" tabindex="0">Get Links</li>
<li class="TabbedPanelsTab" tabindex="0">Sync</li>
...... and what is <div> for created ?