PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:53 am 
Forum Contributor

Over the past several month I have written multiple tutorials in PHP, I have gone into details on virtually every line on most tutorials and I have then put them in PDF format so they can be easily downloaded and printed off for reference.

Below is the link to the user system tutorial part 1.

User System Part 1 - http://www.peter-kelly.me/tutorials/user-system-part-1/

I am currently writing the second part of the user system tutorial, and will be updating all the tutorials templates within the coming weeks as the current one is plain and boring so I will be adding a bit of colour to it :).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 am 
Forum Contributor

Second part completed,

http://www.peter-kelly.me/tutorials/user-system-part-2/

If anyone has any comments on how I can improve my site or these tutorials please leave a comment :).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:16 am 
DevNet Master

Hi, one suggestion would be to show the tutorials on your site itself (in HTML). Giving users the option to safe as PDF is a nice extra, but if they can't first read the tutorial on your site itself, that's just a barrier to read it. Instead of reading immediately I have to click, download, look up the file in my downloads folder, open it, if it's nothing good I have to throw it away, if it is good I have to file it in my system somewhere where I remember it, etc

Also a visitor might wonder whether it's safe to download these files. Should he download and scan it for a virus? Etc etc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:18 am 
Forum Contributor

matthijs wrote:
Hi, one suggestion would be to show the tutorials on your site itself (in HTML). Giving users the option to safe as PDF is a nice extra, but if they can't first read the tutorial on your site itself, that's just a barrier to read it. Instead of reading immediately I have to click, download, look up the file in my downloads folder, open it, if it's nothing good I have to throw it away, if it is good I have to file it in my system somewhere where I remember it, etc

Also a visitor might wonder whether it's safe to download these files. Should he download and scan it for a virus? Etc etc

I have started going through changing them over to HTML as I did think that but want to wait for peoples opinions first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:51 pm 
Forum Commoner

I get an error. :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:59 am 
Forum Contributor

Hi sorry about the errors, I am currently away and just before I left is disabled a plugin on my wordpress site but due to the pages being cached. It did not update I have now fixed that. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:59 am 
Briney Mod

- mysqli is preferred over mysql. It allows OOP style usage. http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.overview.php
- Why do you define MYSQL_SELECTDB? All that will ever be is TRUE or FALSE. I don't believe you need to "or die()" it either, as the define() function won't ever fail.
- You should use mysql_real_escape_string(), not mysql_escape_string. mysql_escape_string() was deprecated in 4.3 and throws an E_DEPRECATED error in 5.3. Not to mention mysql_real_escape_string() is better.
- under register.php, your "if ($_POST['submit-register'])" line will throw an error if error reporting is set to include E_NOTICE, and $_POST['submit-register'] doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:54 am 
DevNet Resident

The salting scheme is not very good either (I've read only part one). You should use an additional unique per user salt. Here's why:
http://forums.devnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?t=62782