PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Database Snippet
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:37 am 
Forum Newbie

Hi everybody,
I have a standard function that I have saved, that I put into just about all of my projects. I like to reuse my code and this (to me, at least seems) a standard piece of code to manage the killing of and connection to the MySQL database, but I'm not sure if there is a better way to do it. What do you all think? This is an annotated version I shared with a colleague.

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
function Database($action = null){                                              # This function handles database connection and killing

/*
                        Usage guide:
                                Before a query is fired:
                                        Database();

After the query is fired:
                                        Database("kill");

This will open the database connection, execute your script, then close the database connection.
                */

$server = "live";                                                       # Variable can be "dev" or "live", change this to change your connection string
                switch ($server){
                        case "live":
                                $db["host"]             =       "localhost";    # Edit this to your host name
                                $db["user"]             =       "root";                 # Edit this to your MySQL username
                                $db["pass"]             =       "";                             # Edit this to your MySQL password
                                $db["database"] =       "db";                   # Edit this to the name of your database
                        break;
                        case "dev":                                                             # This is configured to work with a standard installation of WAMP Server, the layout is as above
                                $db["host"]             =       "localhost";
                                $db["user"]             =       "root";
                                $db["pass"]             =       "";
                                $db["database"] =       "db";
                        break;
                }

$db["connection"] = mysql_connect($db["host"], $db["user"], $db["pass"]) or die ("Failed to connect to database server.");
                mysql_select_db($db["database"], $db["connection"]) or die ("Failed to connect to the database");

if ( $action == "kill" ){
                        mysql_close($db["connection"]) or die ("Failed to close the connection to the database.");     
                }
        }

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Change: My question was answered in one of the other forums, so I have made a change to this function

Post subject: Re: My Database Snippet
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:07 am 
DevNet Master

Some things to say at first glance:
1) don't use die(), throw an exception;
2) don't use function arguments to change the behavior of a function so much - better use two functions, which leads to using a class with 2 methods;
3) don't use internal variables to configure the data connection (i.e. $server), better pass this to the constructor (assuming you use a class as said in 2) )
4) in fact, it's not a Database class/function, it's MySQL_Database class/function :) What will happen to your function if you need PostGreSql e.g. :)

PS: Even by having only the name of your function, it must be implemented as a class :) - it's a noun and there is no verb in it.

Post subject: Re: My Database Snippet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:30 am 
DevNet Resident

I would also suggest you look into using