PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 am 
DevNet Master

Hi

We are looking at changing a USA we look after, and have been told to either use Magento or Shopify.
I know Wordpress really well. I am use to it.

But here's the issue - we are told the American's don't like paying through PayPal... apparently. Shopify contains the payment processing within itself, whereas Magento and WP Woo Commerce go outside to PayPal/Worldpay and others.

What is the general feeling on this? Is PayPal frowned on now a little, and if it is, why? Or is that silly?

We have found most Shopify themes not to be wide screen - that is to say that on categories and product pages, it's not full width. Those I am looking into this for, want it full width.

With Blade for example on Wordpress, you can pretty much do what you want, but because it is Wordpress, it's likely to be using Stripe or PayPal.

Thoughts?
ps we would be able to host.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:06 am 

simonmlewis wrote:
We are looking at changing a USA we look after, and have been told to either use Magento or Shopify.

There's going to be a learning curve to either of them, but Magento has a reputation for being something of a bear to learn. It was built on top of ZF1, though I'm not sure what's at the root of v2.

simonmlewis wrote:
But here's the issue - we are told the American's don't like paying through PayPal... apparently. Shopify contains the payment processing within itself, whereas Magento and WP Woo Commerce go outside to PayPal/Worldpay and others.

What is the general feeling on this? Is PayPal frowned on now a little, and if it is, why?

People tend to not love PayPal because it's a bit of a pain to integrate and their documentation is pretty bad. There are also issues with vendors not always getting paid or with PayPal nearly always siding with consumers in disputes. Stripe is a much nicer experience on the integration side. I've not personally had much experience with disputes, so I have nothing to contribute there.

simonmlewis wrote:
We have found most Shopify themes not to be wide screen

You can make your own, so that shouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:17 am 
DevNet Master

I've not stepped into Magento yet to see the back end, but am booking a demo.
PayPal - this issue is more than customers are not keen on leaving the website to make the payment to PayPal or Stripe, and then to come back to the site. That is the issue... apparently.

Themes - make your own? That's the point of a theme. We don't to create a theme as no idea how to do that with Shopify. It's not even PHP! lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:24 am 

simonmlewis wrote:
PayPal - this issue is more than customers are not keen on leaving the website to make the payment to PayPal or Stripe, and then to come back to the site. That is the issue... apparently.

Definitely not necessary with Stripe, don't think it's necessary with PayPal either, although it's definitely possible.

simonmlewis wrote:
Themes - make your own? That's the point of a theme.

Sometimes. Definitely not a one size fits all solution. I've used third party themes but also written plenty of custom themes when off the shelf solutions wouldn't cut it.

simonmlewis wrote:
We don't to create a theme as no idea how to do that with Shopify. It's not even PHP! lol

The fact that it's not PHP shouldn't matter. No idea how to build one? That's OK, they tell you: https://help.shopify.com/themes/development

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:34 am 
DevNet Master

"Definitely not necessary with Stripe, don't think it's necessary with PayPal either, although it's definitely possible.".
On Wordpress you are taken away. Only when you make the actual payment.
Not sure about Magento.
Shopify - it can all be done thru their own payment inhouse gateway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 pm 
Forum Newbie

I think it is matter of choice for a layman. People always go for easy way!
HemorrhageTreatment