PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:47 am 
Forum Newbie

I know you're working hard on a new video. Do you have an overall philosophy when it comes to putting a skateboard reviews video together?

In the beginning you're just filming. You're just trying to do what you can to get the ball rolling. You try and see what you can do to get trips and other things going to get people hyped. So, usually you just get the ball rolling and things start to fall into place. You can't really make any plans in the beginning because it's too far in the future and you never can tell what's going to happen.

As far as what you're assembling for yourself, do you have a score card going?

Yeah. I used to. Basically I'd just write down tricks that I wanted to do. Some of them I'd done before and I'd just think, "Yeah, I'd really like to have one of these in my part," just as kind of a reminder. I'd mostly just do that in the beginning to get the ball rolling, but once I'd start getting some of the tricks, I used to get amped to go and cross them off the list. Now, I start to forget about it. It's more just something to do when you have some spare time, like when you're on a plane coming back from a trip. It just helps you get things straight in your mind about what you have and what's left to do. When you get to the spot you think about what the spot looks good for. You think, "I don't have this trick, this spot looks good for this trick, I want to do it." And then you try and get it.

Do you have a detailed spot diary and guide book?

No. You do that stuff, but as soon as you write it down--all the spots and the places you want to go for the video, you remember it all. Sometimes I'll tear a photo out of a magazine and think, "Yeah, I want to go here," and try and track down who was in that session or who the photographer was and then go there with that photographer.

Do you think you know of more spots than anybody?

I have no idea what other people know. I'd guess some of the filmers and photographers would have the most spot knowledge. The only lame part about spot knowledge and knowing every spot is that you have to pay attention to every single thing that comes out--every video and every magazine. So with that in mind, I'd say the people with the most spot knowledge are probably the biggest skate rats in the industry, which are some of the younger kids right now. Those guys know everything! They watch everything, every video that comes out. It's hard to watch all that stuff, because after awhile you OD on skate videos. Sometimes I get amped on some of the pros who have no clue as far as who did what where. You try and explain some spot to them like, "You know, so-and-so did it in this big video!" and they're like, "Sorry, I didn't see that one." And you're like, "How could you not have seen that, it was everywhere," and they're just like, "Wait, what video?" I get jealous because I sometimes wish that I could be that unconcerned. The problem is you end up going and doing a trick at a spot that three people have already done. But I guess when you have no clue, it still feels the same, so maybe that doesn't matter.

If it's a trick you really want to do for your video part, do you care if it was in Progression 6 or Puzzle or whatever?

Right now there are so many kids out there skating that there are rules to that.

Like the Regional Champ rule?

Yeah, like that. Like if some kid did it in some local video. Skating's getting so blown out and everybody's doing everything everywhere that you've just got to ask yourself how much you want to do it and if it would be fun. You ask the photographer if it's worth it and if he says, "Yeah do it," then you just do it. It's all skating, you know? As long as you're not disrespecting someone who's a fellow respected pro skater then you can't really worry about it.

Let's say that Zero team rider A's big trick is a bluntslide down a 15-stair and you know you can bluntslide this new 16-stair. Do you do it?

It doesn't come up very often, so I don't really think too much about it.

But would you hold a trick of yours back if you knew it would take out a teammate's big finishing move?

I don't know. That situation's never come up. Usually everyone has got their particular tricks and then know what the other guys have got so they don't want to do anything too similar for their big move. It would be different if no one knew what the other guys were doing, but people are pretty proud of what they're doing.

Let's talk about editing. Why do you use that really quick cut editing style?

There are two kinds of skate videos: The kind that makes you want to go skating and the kind that makes you want to go to sleep. Some videos, if they're really slow and they are really overly dramatic in the sense that everything's drawn out, or if the skating's really incomprehensible, they make you want to go to sleep on the couch and not even go outside. A lot of the videos I watched growing up were like that. So if I got the opportunity to make videos, I wanted to make the type of video that made you want to get up and go skating. In some ways, I don't want people to get the whole feel of the shot. There are times in a video where you want to slow it down and show more information and give the audience a chance to rest or think about what they're seeing, but other times you want to have some mystery to it--especially when it's their first taste of someone. On a lot of people's first projects I kind of blast through the part, so you're not prepared for what's coming next. I like to watch a part like that a nd go, "Yeah! Wait, what was that?" It's like music Some people like the Cure and some people are more Metallica or whatever. You know what I mean? You see it so fast that your mind doesn't have time to ponder everything that's happening. It's like you're getting bombarded with tricks. But then I like to slow it down too, and relax for a second before it picks up again.

Is there anything about the videos you've made that you look back on and want to change?

There's a couple things. All the videos I've been a part of, they've been all skateboarding, which I'm really excited about, but I've never put more than 10 minutes into titles. Titles and effects or skits have kind of been secondary. I'd like to have the video a little more well-rounded. Now, when I watch Misled Youth, it's just a skateboard part and a guy's name, a skateboard part and a guy's name. I'd like to have them flow a little better. I know why and how that happened--because I just concentrate on the skating, which is my main focus.

But at least you beat the fast forward blues.

Yeah, I know. But I'd like Dying to Live to have a little more creativity regarding transitions. I know why I do it. It's because I love the filming and editing so much. That's what I really like. I enjoy helping in laying out ads and stuff but it seems like titles are something you have to out-source to have them done well. We've had help with the titles we did have, but we didn't hire someone to do the titles. They just seemed cheap as far as production value. I've always just focused on the skating.

Are there any goofs in the old videos that can now be revealed?

Just some minor typos in the credits. Nothing in the skating part, because I went over that so many times.

Will you have last part again?

I have no idea. I'm just working as hard as I can to have the best part I can. There are no guarantees for last part or anything. Right now I'm just competing against myself and my part in Misled Youth.

How will this video be different?

Aside from the transitions, we have some new faces. Zero's been the same guys for a long, long time and it'll be interesting to see how that comes together. Every company goes through changes after awhile. There are only a few companies like Girl and Chocolate who have the same guys forever--actually they have some new faces too. So skateboarding changes and it's cool to see what the new guys will do. Other than that, everybody's skateboarding has changed since the last video. That was a few years ago, so everyone has got new stuff they're doing.

Who are the new guys on the team and why did you choose them?

Your going to have to wait and see. After you see the video you'll know why we chose them.

Are you trying to time the video so as not to coincide with another company's video?

You don't want a major video to come out at the same time. You don't want something you've worked so hard on to come out and then have to compete and battle for shelf space with some other video. I found myself worrying about that way too much, though. You know? So we pretty much decided that we're going to make the best video we can and when it's time to release it we're going to release it.

Does the team go out and all film together?

We go on tour and skate together, but all the guys know what they want to do and the best way they need to go about doing it. They've been doing it for awhile, so they sure don't need me or the whole team around to make them want to skate. We have Lee Dupont as the Zero filmer, and he's really good at motivation and helping the guys get amped to do what they want to do. He just wants to make the best video possible and he's doing whatever he can to help the guys get there, It's still great when we all get to skate together, though.

Have you become any less serious this time around?

I'd say after I hurt my knee pretty badly, after I came back from that, I really had a chance to reevaluate why I was skating. There was a while there when I was hurt for a seriously long time and I wasn't sure if I'd ever skate again. I feel lucky and I feel blessed to be where I am right now. In lots of ways, I try and appreciate that. I'm having a lot more fun. In the past I set goals for myself and accomplished them whether I had fun doing it or not. I still set goals for myself, but I try and give myself a break sometimes. I'm still hard on myself. We've been filming for Chomp on This and I realized you can be so much more productive when you're just out messing around having a good time. How to ride a skateboard for beginners

Do you think Lee's gonna take 'em?

I don't know. I'm gonna have to plead the Fifth on that one.

Last edited by tuanhuylink on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:24 pm 
Spammer :|

Summary: yes, you should try to design sites to be mobile-friendly.

1. There's a couple different answers to this. As asked, no, you "should not" build a mobile version of the site, as in there should not be a separate site that is for mobile. The reason for that is because current best practice is to use responsive design: one design for all pages that will appear differently based on device size (eg, desktops will see the full version and smaller mobile screens will see a reduced version). Implied in that is the other answer: yes, you "should" build a mobile version of the site, as in the site should be mobile-friendly, because more and more people use mobile devices (like phones and tablets) on the internet and full-scale desktop pages don't work so well. Having a mobile version is also good for SEO for that same reason.

2. Depends on you. I would charge extra: it's not required to do and sometimes isn't necessary (maybe the site doesn't make sense on mobile). Or you could raise your base rate a little and not charge extra to do it. Your decision. It does take more work, not just because of the time to design but the time to test on different devices too, so one way or another I would charge more for the additional service.

Even worse, there are multiple ways of doing mobile versions. Like I said responsive design is all the rage now, and that's what you should go with, but you may want to give the client options. Like maybe they want a separate site - that comes with a different sort of technical complexity than incorporating responsive design does.

3. No, you shouldn't care about the particular device as far as design goes. Responsive design is based on screen size: on small screens larger elements are generally hidden and navigation moved into collapsed "menus", medium sized screens show more, and large desktop-sized screens show everything.
Responsive design can be complex so I'll just stop there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:49 am 
Forum Newbie

Today, it is very important to have a mobile friendly website. With improving the number of mobile users, most businesses are developing mobile friendly website that can run on mobile devices smoothly.