PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:58 pm 
DevNet Master

I've been looking for a while now at the Apple Watch. I saw someone pay for something with their a few weeks ago, and been talking to those that have one. About how they do things with it.

From reply to texts using voice, or scribble. Both seem like they might take longer than on their iPhone, and less "this feels weird" that talking to their phone to dictate the reply.

I've read that people make and answers calls on it, but only for short periods, as the speaker isn't great, and calls are usually private, right?

The fitness side has no importance to me. Knowing if I have walked a mile or two a day is fun, but my iPhone does that (with steps). I don't use the Health app on my phone. Not a fan of entering all that personal information.

I could look at an email on my watch before having to take my phone out, but they I'd have to scroll thru the email on the watch because of it's size. Is that a benefit, or can I wait till I want to take the phone out to look at it properly?

A text comes in - do I want to stand and 'talk' to my wrist to reply, or sit down and do it..... on my iPhone.

Is it easier to pay with the watch, or just as simple to use the phone or get my wallet out?

All these questions leave me on the first, in 50/50 two minds. Love the idea of a funky gadget like that. Love the whole "Michael Knight" idea of using my watch in that rather flashy way. But is it worth £300 ish to have the privilege of doing something that isn't really that vital in most people's lives.

I'm interested to learn from anyone who is NOT a fitness person, who doesn't run every morning at 5am, doesn't go swimming 3 times a week and tracks their heart rate.

If you do - and it's really smart for that - I'm happy for you. It bears no resemblance to my life though. I am very keen on the device in one way, but on the other, £300 to see if I might use it???

Would I find it more useful that I realise? If so, in what way?

Love to read views. I've read countless reviews, but it's the real world now. Not the 'presenters' world view I am looking for here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:28 pm 

I am that kid who gets up every morning at 4:30 to run before work, and I still wouldn't want an Apple watch for that. I am relatively techy, but I also try not to buy things I don't need and my thoughts on the Apple watch are pretty much exactly as you have described. In short, it doesn't seem to do anything. A lot of people I work with have one and I have yet to see a use case where it feels like the watch would be a better experience than just using my phone. Then again, a lot of the things people will do on their phones, I am more comfortable doing on my laptop. Those are my thoughts on it, for whatever that's worth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:10 am 
DevNet Master

Very interesting, thanks. If I am at my desk, my phone is with me. If I am watching TV on the sofa, it's usually not far from me. I kinda like the idea that I could see an email on my wrist when I am out for a walk, but then, is it work £300 to be able to do that?..... probably not.

If I wanted to then reply, I'd have to get the phone out anyway, as replying to an email with anything useful to say is just not feasible on that small device.
And if a text reply "be with you soon" is all you want to send, then it can wait til I can do it on the phone anyway. If I want to send anything constructive, I can always ring handsfree from in the car via bluetooth as well.

I tend to prefer doing proper emails on a laptop too.

Your reply has been really helpful. It's a fun gadget, but for £300, I'm not sure it is a gadget that is REALLY going to change my life. That £300 could go toward something else that would!