PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: About a new computer...
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:26 pm 

I've been lucky enough to be able to have the choice of purchasing a new computer.

The main thing that I want is that it should be a laptop. OR a small desktop. I want it to be mobile, which I would be able to carry it with me, on the fly.

I've been looking at the newly redesigned iMac, from Apple. I love the sleek design, and the ability to record DVDs on it. Now, I'm not looking for your opinion that says something like "Oh, you should never get an apple! Macintosh sucks! No compatibility!" -- Do ya' know any other desktop that ships with a DVD-R/CD-RW built in? No? ok.

I'd be willing to buy a different laptop, but none of which I've seen yet has really satisfied my needs. I want to be wireless, and not so heavy.

If any of you have got the right solution, or would like to point me in a direction, then please help me out. By the way, if I do end up getting the iMac, I'll still have this Compaq, so I'm not totally going to "The darkside," as my dad said. ;\

--Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:54 pm 
Forum Regular

http://www.pricewatch.com

build your own, save money, get better stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Apple's aren't all bad, however, some considerations.

1. Laptops are great and all, but how often would you go out that you could actually bring it with you? I have one, and while I could bring it to college, it was because they had a wireless network there, and you needed the computer for class.

2. DVD Burners are alright. However, at around $5-$10 a disk, is it really worth it? I mean, how much data really needs to be held on one disk?

3. Go for something practical, something you will actually use, and avoid the coolness factor temptation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 2:30 pm 
Forum Contributor

Although I agree with Jason that unlass you are ging to be doing a lot of dvd burning (most likely illegal) than you will not need the dvd-r drive. And quite a few large companies have started shipping readymades with dvd-r burners, compaq, dell, gateway ... etc...

Cheers Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:22 pm 
Forum Contributor

macs do suck, but anyway, a completely customizable (for a DVD-RW drive too) laptop computer, currently:

'Area 51-M' by Alienware:

PentiumĀ® 4 @ 2.4GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM
40GB HD Ultra ATA

http://www.alienware.com/main/gaming_main.asp