PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:08 am 
DevNet Resident

Thanks for the advice. I'll remember that. Did you find doing 70 question in 90 minutes difficult time wise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:34 pm 
PHP Evangelist

I think I'll be getting the ZCE soon because it's simply awesome to have to build yourself creditbility within potential/current clients.

And if I ever chose to work for a large web development firm, having that, I believe, speaks a lot for the dedication you have for your career and confidence you have in your PHP skills.

Sure, if you scrutinize the test and examine it top to bottom, then it may not be as good as it should be, but let's be honest, many accreditations are like that as well and employeers would not second guess an accreditation from the guys who help power the language. That's like an employer turning you down because the most current MSCE isn't as good as it should be.

For the average non-PHP savvy client or potential business partner being accredited by Zend, the guys behind PHP's engine, is awesome and I recommend it to everyone serious about coding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:03 pm 
Jedi Mod

Sami wrote:
I think I'll be getting the ZCE soon because it's simply awesome to have to build yourself creditbility within potential/current clients.

My clients wouldn't have a clue what it is.

I'm spending my spare time writing a PHP book.. that really will impress clients..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:08 am 
PHP Evangelist

Well you can have some info about exactly what it is, such as:

"Our Developers are Zend Certified Engineers (ZCE). Zend, the PHP company, is responsible for the creation and development of the Zend Engine which is the fundamental core the PHP scripting language."

That and a link to a Zend info page should be enough. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:35 pm 
DevNet Master

Just thought I'd point out that zend is having a sale, $125 for the certification this month only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:36 pm 
PHP Evangelist

That's so freakin' awesome. Perfect timing for me, too. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:43 pm 
DevNet Resident

I'm still studying. It's going to be a couple of months for me. Too bad. :( Won't get the discount. But that's --- okay. Looks like they also have a discount for those who buy zend studio.

If anybody around here certifies -- let us know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:48 pm 
Forum Newbie

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a good answer to this question regarding training, and that question is, who offers the best? I realize that a very large part of this community just picks up the how-to’s from online documentation, message boards, trial and error and following someone else’s examples but I would like to begin my PHP journey from a crafted study path, if for no other reason, to eliminate some of the guess work and trial and error, that is, I would like to take a few shortcuts to learning and try not to pick up a lot of bad habits along the way.

At first glance it would appear that Zend would be the route to go but to me the webcast training is similar to a stand up classroom, where there is usually a limited amount of ability to go back and re-learn something I may forget a few months down the road. I personally have liked the CD/DVD based training in the past because I can refer back to it later. Granted, I don’t get to ask the instructor questions but I find that 100% of the time I am in a classroom environment, I am being fire-hosed so heavily I don’t know enough to actually ask questions. The questions come later when I try to apply some of the techniques. If the instructor was dumb enough to provide an contact email address, they often just don’t have time to respond later. The downside of CD/DVD training is even worse. Have you ever tried to contact CBT training author, or more fun, how about a book author :-).

Any suggestions on how an old VB6 programmer (of moderate skill) should branch into the PHP world, if purchasing a training course is in the budget?

THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:27 pm 
DevNet Resident

Hmmm, I would get a couple of books as opposed to training. Post your questions here and just start coding. You'll get there. Honest!

Books to get:

Zend Certification Study Guide and Sample Test
PHP Arch Patterns Book (That other guy) :)
PHP Arch Security Book (Schiflett)

I like the phpArch Magazine but one could live with out it....

That's all you need.

Except... "this Thermos..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:28 pm 
DevNet Resident

Update: yeah I'm still studying for the exam. Not quite there yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:23 pm 
Forum Commoner

hey guys. was just about to start a new topic but stumbled accross this one so thought i'd just reply instead :)

How is the studying going for everyone who said that they were goign to do it? Has anyone passed (or taken and not passed) the exam yet?

I've recently decided that I'm goign to do the exam, not to show off my skills neccessarily (hopefully my coding does that for itself :D) but to show that i'm dedicated to working on and improving my skills and keeping up to date etc etc etc.

Anyway, I'm hoping to take the exam in a month or two, if anyone else is still studying for it, do you wnat to use this forum/start a new one to ask questions and help eachother out and give pointers?

Just an idea...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:03 pm 
Forum Newbie

Just walked along to share my 25 cents:
Now you've got an option: you can take your certification in PHP with CancanIT PHP certification. It's much easier as you can take the exam completely online, but its a bit more difficult to pass as it includes practice coding task. I contributed to its recent update and I like how it works.