PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 11:07 am 
Forum Commoner

Quote:
<Jason> I have discovered artists by downloading them from the Internet! and bought their CD's
Ditto. I first heard bands such as Dashboard Confessional, Get Up Kids, Drugstore (well, after watching Cherry Falls), all through the Internet and Audiogalaxy.

I agree totally with the pro-AG arguments. I have downloaded gigs of music of Audiogalaxy, Napster and various MP3 sites, but I continue to buy CDs as well.

My primary motive at the moment is to download the tunes I hear on the radio and read in various DJ magazines to 'sample' the songs before I go out and buy them. Saves me having to go into HMV, Pitbull or wherever litstening to tracks, then deciding I'm not going to buy them anyway.

I do admit though that I sometimes download entire albums from the Internet, however these are only usually the albums that I wouldn't have actually bought in the first place.

Just saw another quote:
Quote:
<Andrew>from a DJ's perspective, no, we don't pay royalties to the "artists", we merely DJ from CD, record, or Mp3, my favorite being Mp3. I'm not going to go out and buy an entire CD simply for one song.
My point exactly. And on a side note... what do you use to mix MP3s? PCDJ? I've always wondered how I'm supposed to listen to and cue the next track. I've seen the Stanton (http://www.stantonmagnetics.com) Final Scratch (http://www.finalscratch.com) and that looks pretty cool... not sure how it works though...(?).

Davey - I agree with just about everything (well, at the least the first few paragraphs, I'd got bored by the end of reading all these replies).

Keep Audiogalaxy alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Computer software.. to mix music? NEVER!!

I used two turntables, CD's (see, even I own CD's) and mp3's, run them all through my sampler, and mix on my 24-channel mixer... then i digitize it on my computer, and reformat the feed back to a wav or mp3... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:10 pm 
Forum Commoner

Ahhh. I'm just into vinyl. Atm, I record mixes through my stereo onto minidisk, then if I want them on my PC (to send to my mates on AG :P) then I just feed it back from the MD into WAV or MP3.

What music do you listen to? I was always, and am, really into trance, but recently I've been going more towards hard trance and hard house. Especially with the new Tidy Two label, there's some tunes on that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Trance, progressive trance, melodic trance... tekhouse, detroit, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:11 am 
Forum Contributor

Jason: I think that you misunderstood my statement, I dislike the idea of opensource software being developed by large companies only to have them close the source once they realise hw popular. I have no problem with anyone using opensource and even developing on it. I have no problems with anyone making tons of money off of the software, it is just that once large corparations start making money they will begin to see the potential of the software and try to milk it for all they can. I disagree that edutational instatutions were in the early developement of unix spinoffs or any software for finantial gain. And the whole idea of opensource is defined almost in Linus' decision to make Linux due to lack of funds to purchise unix, make an OS that anyone can have, sell, improveapon basicly the populas controls the developement and future of Linux. I feel that Open-source and MP3 distribution are not really related.

Cheers Sam