PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New: Online PHP Classes
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, these aren't the actual classes, but I am planning for them. I have a few questions regarding the classes.

1. Which text book? Should their be one? I would prefer their be one, that way I could focus on adding supplemental material to the text book, as well as teaching. I was thinking the O'Reilly PHP book.

2. Topics to cover? Remember, this will cover from the beginning users all the way to using Classes and Objects, and as much in between as possible.

3. Length, I was thinking between 10 to 12 week long course, with one 4 hour session a week, probably on a wednesday (no one does anything then, do they? Of course, each student would get access to me via. email, phone, etc.

4. Class size. No more than x number of people (I was thinking 15 - 25 people).

5. Things to consider? Should their be anything else I should consider? Thoughts, ideas?

6. Cost. Should there be a cost involved? Remember, as much as I love helping people, this is 48 hours of my time (plus, the time outside of the online class time) as well as a lot of work on my part to make this happen ( I would provied server space, and all the tools, including the book shipped to the person if it was paid). Honestly, would you pay for an online class? If no, why not? If you think it should be free, please, let me know.

So, please, give me all your ideas. I want to hear them. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 12:32 am 
Site Administrator

Well Jason I wen't to barnes and checked out quite a few books on php. The one which I ended up buying was Beginning PHP 4 by Wrox Press. In my opinion I have learned a lot about php from this book, as I have only been coding php for 2 weeks. This book is very easy to understand even for people who have little or no experience programming other languages. The only pitfall is that it's a bit outdated as it doesn't teach you how to use get and post without global variables being turned on, but this would only be a 1 or 2 page addition to the book. All in all, I feel that this is a great resource for anyone wanting to learn PHP. As for O'reily, I have had a hard time in the past learning from their books.

Now as for cost. I would not be willing to pay for an entire class on php, however if it was divided into mods, and there was something in particular which I couldn't figure out myself, I wouldn't mind paying to learn a specific part of the language. Say for example a mod on using php with access databases.