PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:11 pm 
Forum Newbie

I am a novice and I've just completed my first website. If you'd like to take a peek, it's http://www.americaseagle.com. The site is ready to be
launched but for a mailing system that I'm still looking for.

I'm searching for a script that will give me several features and capabilities. I first want to have the ability to harvest e-mail addresses from site visitors if they choose to leave it. I'd like to be able to get more data than just the address, perhaps name, interests, and other things. I'd like that data in some sort of database in order to sort it, and then use the database to initiate targeted or mass mailings of a newsletter or advertising info. I need an efficient way of unsubscribing those that no longer want to receive mailings. I need a contact us screen which will generate an autoresponse and an e-mail to me, so that I can reply. And ideally, I'd also like to have a "refer a friend to this site" screen where
people can enter the e-mail addresses of friends.

Does anyone know of anything that is capable of all of these requirements? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce Marshall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:24 pm 
Forum Newbie

looks like you need a Mailing list script or a newsletter script.

You can search at http://www.hotscripts.com for ReadyMade scripts or read a tutorial to make your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:35 pm 
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm not conversant enough with PHP to be able to write my own script, and I have searched hotscripts and scriptsearch among others. I've seen each of my requirements addressed by one script or another, but I haven't yet been able to find one that does it all. Is it possible to use several scripts together from independent authors to create the total package that I need?

Any reply would be appreciated.

Bruce Marshall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:36 am 
Forum Contributor

The contact form is easy, have an HTML form and get it to send data to a script like this, you may need to edit this depending on the names of your input types.

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
<?php

$your_name = "Joe Bloggs";

$your_email = "you@yoursite.com";

//Send them an email

mail($_POSTї'email'],"Thankyou for your message","Thankyou for your message, I will try and get back to you as soon as possible","From: $your_name <$your_email>");

//Send you an email

mail($your_email,"A message from a site visitor","The following message was sent by user " . $_POSTї'name'].": ". $POSTї'message'].".","From: ".$_POSTї'name']." <".$_POSTї'email'].">");

echo "Message sent";

?>

That should work but don't count on it.

Last edited by MattF on Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: E-Mail Script
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:12 am 
Forum Newbie

Maybe I should have been a little more clear in my original posting. I am a complete novice with PHP and my goal in posting to this forum originally was to be pointed to either an available script that could do all I needed done, or to be pointed to a script author that could do that for me. I'm in a time pinch, and need the mailing system in place before advertising the site. I was looking for something turn-key that I can just install and run with.

Thanks for replying. If anyone knows where I can get such package, or is capable of writing it, a reply would be appreciated.

Bruce Marshall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:08 am 
Site Admin

If you want to post in the Jobs forum, you are more than welcome to. You are sure to get respondants there. Simply make sure you are complete in describing what you want.

Most of what you described is probably either custom built or built into larger systems. I personally have done such work, and I find it's better to build it into a system.

So post in the Job's portion of the site, and you will get a response back pretty quickly.