What editor do you use? 2008

Ye' old general discussion board. Basically, for everything that isn't covered elsewhere. Come here to shoot the breeze, shoot your mouth off, or whatever suits your fancy.
This forum is not for asking programming related questions.

Moderator: General Moderators

Which editor do you prefer to use?

TextPad
2%
phpDesigner
6%
EditPlus
2%
Notepad
3%
Homesite
0%
Crimson Editor
1%
Dreamweaver
23%
Notepad++
17%
Notepad2
1%
PHPEdit
2%
Vim/Vi
4%
Emacs/XEmacs
0%
nano/pico
No votes
Bluefish
0%
gEdit/gPHPEdit
2%
Kate
1%
XCode
0%
TextMate
2%
BBEdit
1%
Coda
2%
Eclipse
9%
JEdit
0%
Zend Studio
5%
Other
15%

Total votes: 477

Chris Corbyn
Breakbeat Nuttzer

What editor do you use? 2008

Post by Chris Corbyn »

This thread updates the classic editors superthread.

Since the editor landscape is changing so quickly we'll run this poll yearly.

Please tell us what editor you are using to do your PHP development work and feel free to express opinions about it or any of the other editors mentioned.

You may change your vote during the course of the year.

Sorry if your editor is not in the list of options, we had to trim a lot of editors out of the list because it was just too long. If your editor is not in the list, specify "Other" and post a note in the thread with more detail.
RobertGonzalez
Site Administrator

Re: What editor do you use? 2008

Post by RobertGonzalez »

Eclipse, almost exclusively. Especially for larger project development.

For one-off's, Notepad2. For slightly larger coding sessions but not Eclipse level coding, Notepad++.
Chris Corbyn
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Post by Chris Corbyn »

Oh yeah, I voted for TextMate because I think I'm in love with it. If you're on a mac TM will set a new standard for your expectations in a text editor. They seem to have it spot-on :)

That said, I'm going to download Coda later today and see what the fuss is about, but I doubt I'll prefer it over TM.
Inkyskin
Forum Contributor

Post by Inkyskin »

Currently Notepad++, however I'm making the move to a Mac finally in a few weeks, so I'll soon be giving textmate a try :)
Scrumpy.Gums
Forum Commoner

Post by Scrumpy.Gums »

I have always found Eclipse too heavy (and dare I say clunky) for my liking. Emacs is my editor of choice because it is so customizable and unlike so many other editors, it just seems to not get in my way. It's also available on windows (and mac I believe) and is of course totally free. :lol:

From what I've heard, TextMate is basically emacs for mac users. :P
Chris Corbyn
Breakbeat Nuttzer

Post by Chris Corbyn »

Scrumpy.Gums wrote:I have always found Eclipse too heavy (and dare I say clunky) for my liking.
Agreed.
Scrumpy.Gums wrote:Emacs is my editor of choice because it is so customizable and unlike so many other editors, it just seems to not get in my way. It's also available on windows (and mac I believe) and is of course totally free. :lol:
Mine too, but only when it comes to editing code on command line. I can't stand xEmacs :| Then again, I usually just use nano on command line unless I need fancy features. Even nano is customizable (syntax highlighting, indentation, mutliple buffers etc).
Scrumpy.Gums wrote:From what I've heard, TextMate is basically emacs for mac users. :P
Definitely not. I'm not joking when I say TextMate set a new expectations for me when it comes to text editors. They really just got it right. It's functional, it's feature-packed (but light at the same time, how did they do that??) and extensible!

PS: I tried Coda today and didn't like it. I couldn't find any way to create a project in it and it just looked very lacking for an editor that costs USD $80. From what I hear, it's great for CSS/HTML but for programming it doesn't cut the mustard.
Oren
DevNet Resident

Post by Oren »

gEdit++ :D
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Post by Jonah Bron »

I really like SciTE. Just figured out the other day how to make it use tabs. It has highlighting for almost any language you could possibly want to write in, and more. The only feature I wish it had is a folder viewer. :(

What is a Macro, and what are they for? I've heard a lot about them.

Also use Dreamweaver for my big stuff, but am moving to Linux soon, so I'll try Wine, and if it doesn't work well with my applications, I'll just find something else. Maybe Eclipse? :wink:
Benjamin
Site Administrator

Post by Benjamin »

In Linux I prefer Eclipse->Kate->Vi

I'm hardly ever in Windows but if I need to edit something quickly I'll just use Wordpad.
hawleyjr
BeerMod

Post by hawleyjr »

UltraEdit :)
arjan.top
Forum Contributor

Post by arjan.top »

eclipse (pdt) + kate

I would love to try textmate and see if it is worth the hype =P
Zoxive
Forum Regular

Post by Zoxive »

Gvim/Vim/Vi , I don't know how I coded without it.
wnpers
Forum Newbie

Post by wnpers »

i love editplus
EverLearning
Forum Contributor

Post by EverLearning »

NuSphere PhpED. Worked in Zend Studio, was slow, tried PHPEdit, was a bit clunky, so I'm still using PhpED, until something better comes along.
Benjamin
Site Administrator

Post by Benjamin »

EverLearning wrote:NuSphere PhpED. Worked in Zend Studio, was slow, tried PHPEdit, was a bit clunky, so I'm still using PhpED, until something better comes along.
When I started using SVN Eclipse became a must have. SVN is great for storing code changes on large or ongoing projects because you can always pull older versions of each file and it's all compressed. Eclipse integrates with SVN perfectly and saves you the time of having to import/export/update/add/delete/commit changes through a CLI.