What editor do you use? 2008

Ye' old general discussion board. Basically, for everything that isn't covered elsewhere. Come here to shoot the breeze, shoot your mouth off, or whatever suits your fancy.
This forum is not for asking programming related questions.

Moderator: General Moderators

Which editor do you prefer to use?

TextPad
2%
phpDesigner
6%
EditPlus
2%
Notepad
3%
Homesite
0%
Crimson Editor
1%
Dreamweaver
23%
Notepad++
17%
Notepad2
1%
PHPEdit
2%
Vim/Vi
4%
Emacs/XEmacs
0%
nano/pico
No votes
Bluefish
0%
gEdit/gPHPEdit
2%
Kate
1%
XCode
0%
TextMate
2%
BBEdit
1%
Coda
2%
Eclipse
9%
JEdit
0%
Zend Studio
5%
Other
15%

Total votes: 477

xjake88x
Forum Commoner

Re: What editor do you use? 2008

Post by xjake88x »

I like to use Dreamweaver because of the site manager & built in FTP. Makes things very easy!
ornerybits
Forum Newbie

Post by ornerybits »

Currently I'm using Komodo.
giantmonster
Forum Newbie

Post by giantmonster »

I prefer to use notepad...
Frank Smith
Forum Newbie

Post by Frank Smith »

I love EditPlus. :)
zhel
Forum Newbie

Post by zhel »

Hello folks, Im new to PHP, just want to know which is the best IDE for Mac OSX? Im running on 10.6.1 osx and have not come through a good ide yet. Hope you guys can fork out on some ideas on these based on your experience on php osx.
volomike
Forum Regular

Post by volomike »

zhel wrote:Hello folks, Im new to PHP, just want to know which is the best IDE for Mac OSX?
A lot of PHP Devs on Mac OSX that I know use something called Coda. I hear that chatter a lot on Twitter. I'm an Ubuntu Linux user, though, so I wouldn't know.
zhel
Forum Newbie

Post by zhel »

Is Coda free? I've downloaded it but Im not sure is it a demo version as it says I need to purchase some kind of version :S
Software_Pyrate
Forum Newbie

Post by Software_Pyrate »

I've been using DW being that I'm a novice but starting grow out of it so to speak in the automatic coding part of it.

But for a text editor...it ain't bad.

PHPdesigner was OK, but nothin special IMHO

Jedit...2 thumbs down
ornerybits
Forum Newbie

Post by ornerybits »

My preferred editor is Dreamweaver.
I'm pretty new to it all but it is really user friendly and the built in FTP is so convenient.
markusn00b
Forum Contributor

Post by markusn00b »

2 years later ... I'm using Vim (it really IS awesome), Komodo Edit and I still use inType as my Windows text-editor.
greyhoundcode
Forum Regular

Post by greyhoundcode »

What would be quite nice, though I appreciate phpBB may not facilitate it, is that each item (ie, the names of the IDEs) in the poll display as a hyperlink to each application's respective websites.
Weirdan

Post by Weirdan »

greyhoundcode wrote:What would be quite nice, though I appreciate phpBB may not facilitate it, is that each item (ie, the names of the IDEs) in the poll display as a hyperlink to each application's respective websites.
It's possible, however I'm afraid it would reset the votes cast so far. So it's a suggestion for new editor superthread (which we should create anyway as this one is 2 years old).
rsmarsha
Forum Contributor

Post by rsmarsha »

I am using pspad and previously edit plus.

I am looking for a new editor/IDE at the moment and was wondering if you good peeps could help me find one.

I have been looking at moving from an editor to a full IDE but am not sure which are best.

At work we have 2 servers one of which is a dev server so I usually work on the remote files. I want something that allows opening of files direct from the server and allows saving straight back to the server.

Good code highlighting and the ability to find objects and methods would be nice to aid with coding. I am currently trying netbeans and have setup a remote project. It would be nice if there was an option to check for new/changed files on the server.

If the editor creates local copies I would like to be able to check for changes to the remote file and update the local copy as I am not the only one who may be working on those files.
phpfreak2000
Forum Newbie

Post by phpfreak2000 »

Dreamweaver!
greyhoundcode
Forum Regular

Post by greyhoundcode »

Weirdan wrote:It's possible, however I'm afraid it would reset the votes cast so far. So it's a suggestion for new editor superthread (which we should create anyway as this one is 2 years old).
A good opportunity also to review the list of IDEs/apps included in the poll, as some notable IDEs (IMO) such as NuSphere PhpED don't feature - perhaps this and some other apps could be listed to help achieve a better picture of the PHP editor landscape, so to speak.