What editor do you use? 2008

Ye' old general discussion board. Basically, for everything that isn't covered elsewhere. Come here to shoot the breeze, shoot your mouth off, or whatever suits your fancy.
This forum is not for asking programming related questions.

Moderator: General Moderators

Which editor do you prefer to use?

TextPad
2%
phpDesigner
6%
EditPlus
2%
Notepad
3%
Homesite
0%
Crimson Editor
1%
Dreamweaver
23%
Notepad++
17%
Notepad2
1%
PHPEdit
2%
Vim/Vi
4%
Emacs/XEmacs
0%
nano/pico
No votes
Bluefish
0%
gEdit/gPHPEdit
2%
Kate
1%
XCode
0%
TextMate
2%
BBEdit
1%
Coda
2%
Eclipse
9%
JEdit
0%
Zend Studio
5%
Other
15%

Total votes: 477

lala
Forum Commoner

Re: What editor do you use? 2008

Post by lala »

i'm using php editor now. before that i used dreamweaver
shawngoldw
Forum Contributor

Post by shawngoldw »

Textmate. I LOVE it, if you are on a mac you have to try it out! It's fast, light-weight, and feature packed. You can customize shortcuts to auto complete blocks of code that you re use, and it comes with bundles of shortcuts to start with.

For isntance, I type for and hit tab, I get this:

Code: Select all

for ($i = 0; $i < ; $i++) 
{ 
	# code...
}
the first i is highlighted and as I type all 3 i's get updated. Then I hit tab and cursor jumps to the position after the <. Then tab again and #code is highlighted so I can start typing and overwrite it.

When I hit cmd+s to save a tooltip pops up letting me know if I have any syntax errors.

Again, if you are on a mac you just have to try textmate.
rogersstones
Forum Newbie

Post by rogersstones »

As per me the best among the editors is the Dreamviewer. It is a best in combination with the PHP. Most of the experts suggest that and it is really very good to have it. It is known for the features offered and that is fruitful for the users.
phppro62
Forum Newbie

Post by phppro62 »

I like phpedit very much .I always do all my php and CSS with it.
JPRoss
Forum Newbie

Post by JPRoss »

Komodo
jagannathg
Forum Commoner

Post by jagannathg »

I am not sure for PHP beacuse I started learning it now its been a Week. But I work on ASP and I use EditPlus for that. Is EditPlus good option for coding PHP for begineers like me?
Weirdan

Post by Weirdan »

jagannathg wrote:Is EditPlus good option for coding PHP for begineers like me?
For a beginner pretty much any editor would do, as far as it supports syntax highlighting for PHP/JS/HTML and is able to save files without a BOM marker (called 'UTF-8 Signature' in EditPlus).
Technical
Forum Commoner

Post by Technical »

Notepad++ since I started.
josh
DevNet Master

Post by josh »

JNettles wrote:Netbeans will probably become my primary prototyping tool here soon.
RobertGonzalez wrote:NetBeans will become my editor of choice as soon as they work out the issues of not being able to see into parent classes that live outside of the current project (like extending page controller abstract classes in a framework, for example). There are a couple of other little things that really annoy the hell out of me with it (like requiring an index.php file in order to make a project, empty line whitespace getting removed so you new lines don't line up, etc). Still, it is fast, light and very clean. I just need it to grow up a little more.
jayshields wrote:It seems like no one used NetBeans - I've been using that exclusively for a few months now. I have a few gripes but nothing to stop it being my favourite at the moment.
After a year of bugs with NuSphere and false promises, I switched to Zend Studio. If I didn't create my php files thru their stupid built in file manager, they weren't picked up by code completion.

I recently switched to netbeans. Wow. It has come a long way. It has better Zend Framework integration than Zend Studio itself. For Zend & Symphony for example, one hot key can take you from an action to a view, you can create controller actions thru a GUI, code completion is bi-directional from the controller to the view, so in the view you get code completions from all controller methods. One hotkey can show you what classes extend a given class, or which classes a given class is extending. The interface is boat loads cleaner than Zend Studio and boat loads faster. Search results are tabbed, so you can have many file searches running in parallel. I gave NuSphere & Zend both months or years, and I've been using neatbeans a couple of hours. Alt+Insert opens a code generation "thing" (it does a ton of stuff), you can map keyboard shortcuts to basically anything that doesn't yet have a keyboard shortcut, or customize keyboard shortcuts to your liking. It has integrated PHPUnit support, both to run the tests, and generate code coverage within the IDE. Code completion is very consistent (In Zend/Nusphere I'd have problems with completions in javascript, or CSS, etc.) Its very sleek. My only complaint would be it sucks at javascript, but it still beats out Zend & Nusphere in that area.

Just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation. Anyone who hasn't should check out the screencasts here: http://netbeans.org/kb/trails/php.html They even innovated word wrap (mosts IDEs let you turn it on & off, they have 3 values for that setting. Off. Wrap but obey word boundaries, or wrap in the middle of words.)
Last edited by josh on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Benjamin
Site Administrator

Post by Benjamin »

Yeah Netbeans++. It's great. Love the colors too.
Attachments
ss.png
ss.png (69.38 KiB) Viewed 19295 times
josh
DevNet Master

Post by josh »

How did you get the dark background?
Benjamin
Site Administrator

Post by Benjamin »

I found a dark theme online some place but I had to spend a lot of time messing with the colors to get everything to look right. I'm not having the best luck trying to export it.
chadk
Forum Newbie

Post by chadk »

At home I use dreamweaver on the mac, and then at work in a open source environment I use eclipse
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Post by Jonah Bron »

@josh Awesome, I'd never used Netbeans before, but I really like it. The built-in SVN is really cool. Before I was using Eclipse PDT, and it wasn't very good overall.
josh
DevNet Master

Post by josh »

@Alex you wrote it does not have plugin support (netbeans). It looks like it does, at least as of today (and a couple of the plugins I looked back dated back to 2008). Although eclipse definitely has more & better plugins, the constructs to port a plugin over appear to exist, however.