Help, I might be insane!

Ye' old general discussion board. Basically, for everything that isn't covered elsewhere. Come here to shoot the breeze, shoot your mouth off, or whatever suits your fancy.
This forum is not for asking programming related questions.

Moderator: General Moderators

Help, I might be insane!

Postby Chalks » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm going crazy here. Any time I copy a url by selecting it, then pressing ctrl+c, the next time I paste something it comes up with this link: http:// xp-vista-update.net /?id=91873534231 (link intentionally broken) ... Probably spam/virus link ... I wouldn't click on it.

For instance, I copy "http://www.google.com" onto window's clipboard and what I paste is the former url. I had this happen a week ago, so I scanned my drives with AVG (found nothing). So, I reformatted my harddrive and reinstalled windows. Now, a week later, it's doing it again. Does anyone have _any_ idea what this is coming from? It seems to start when I have FF3 pulled up, but that could simply be because that's the only time I'm copy/pasting urls. Also, I recognize all the processes running in task manager and AVG still isn't finding anything. Incidentally, this may be related to an issue I had on my server awhile ago (see here) as the behavior of this link is similar to the behavior of what happened before. What should I do?
Chalks
Forum Contributor

Re: Help, I might be insane!

Postby JAB Creations » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:19 am

There is a follow up video...it shows you how to go about detecting viruses by their pattern, not an individual/specific virus. Let me know if this helps please. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9XyE0qo6_E
JAB Creations
DevNet Resident

Postby Jonah Bron » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:36 pm

I had a worm/virus of some kind living on an external HDD of mine for years. I reinstalled several times, but everything was always slow. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I discovered it, or how I got rid of it :roll:

So, what was point again...? Oh yeah! Anyway, do you have anything that wasn't reformatted when you reinstalled and is now plugged in regularly?
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Postby JAB Creations » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:41 am

Jonah, open up Windows System Configuartion (msconfig or C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries\msconfig.exe).

Click on the "STartup" tab and disable ALL the startup programs.

Then go to the "Services" tab, put a check for "Hide all Microsoft services", and then disable the rest of the services.

Reboot.

Go back to system configuration and whatever is now enabled is where the virus is located.
JAB Creations
DevNet Resident

Postby Jonah Bron » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:24 am

Cool! I'll have to bookmark this page for the next time :) I don't use windows much these days, but I'm sure good ol' windows will pick up something. :wink:
Jonah Bron
DevNet Master

Return to General Discussion