PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:47 am 
Forum Contributor

Mark Douglas here, from Midlands of Britain and with somewhere just over 2 years PHP experience.

Am ultimately carp at marketing so have only had one paying project so far (which involved graphs and stocks with an excel upload) and tend to just redesign my main site over and over in the hope that I'll like it at some stage (which strangely I do at the moment even though it has diddly in the way of content yet).

I have a penchant for image manipulation through GD libraries and most of my distributed codes are GD based.

Nice to meet you all :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:08 pm 
DevNet Resident

Terrence is my real name.

First programmed on an Atari 600 (Basic) when I was 14. Had allready been playing guitar for 5 years by that time. Coupled with skating and punk rock in the late '70's early 80's (I'm 36 in case you're wondering), I focused a lot more in those days on, you guessed, playing and skating.

Made another move in the direction of programming when I was a Juniour in High School, but the counselors, ever unhelpful, scoffed at that idea. I didn't go back to High School. Was going to go to Musicians Institue in Hollywood, but didn't. At the same time, I developed a huge affinity for forced induction and high performance internal combustion engines. Had allready been an aviation buff since I was 8 and an avid model builder. I liked building sleepers. Cars that looked and sounded mediocre, but kicked and snarled when you hit the pedal. Evil Datsun 510's and Camaros with 250's in 'em.

The truest of loves came when I started road racing motorcycles and generally blasting around in the hills above Santa Cruz (the other side of the mountain range that seperates Silicon Valley from the Pacific Ocean). Road racing is the most perflect blending of aggression, precision in thought and execution, grace, and human ingenuity.

In this same time frame, I worked for the California Dept of Corrections from '90 to '97 and got to carry a gun around when I wasn't working (I don't think the citizens or California had the faintest notion of how bad an idea that was!) I attended college as a music major, wrote for a couple of underground Skating / Punk Rock rags, played in a couple of more bands (in addition to those from the high school years), was a founder and organizer of events for a motorcycle club in Santa Cruz, and worked on a peice of fiction for a while.

But in '96 I got back into computers. Hardware first. All those wonderful times in flamewars over the ongoing duel between AMD and Intel. I tried learning Java, but how can someone learn how to prog at the smallest level when all that OO tripe is blown up your arse at the same time. Stuck with HTML and C. Started doing a lot of Tech support. Did a little multi-media development, then discovered PHP.

I am now an addict!

Now I work as a Sys / Network Admin, DBA, developer, and tech consultant for a lottery and (more and more these days) wireless comm provider. I do lots of work with fault tolerant clusters HA Load balanced clusters and tons of routing. Had my time in Hell with Cisco IOS's and don't ever want to go back. 802.11b rules! FloppyFW rules!

And of course, Linux rules (and SCO is bunk!). Been using Linux since '97 and don't see any reason to go back.

Finally, real soon here (seriously), I'll finish highsidecafe.com and I'll be happy. Go home to my cat, nurse old battle wounds, pop open a cold malt (we drink a lot of 'em down here in Venezuela) and think about the workings of the q3 source code for a project out in the future.

Cheers,
BDKR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:42 pm 
Forum Commoner

Hey all! My name is Brandon Paredes. I am really interested in programming and have been working with HTML (migrating to XML) for a while now. I really enjoy working with computers, but my main passion is music. I have been playing guitar for a while and aspire to become a working musician (i.e. starving and homeless). I am just beginning to learn PHP now, but hopefully I can become a productive and helpful member of this community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:13 pm 
Forum Regular

I am Ben from England, UK

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:29 pm 
Forum Contributor

High all, me is Alex from Groningen Netherlands.
I'm into php/mysql for several years now. Developing webpages/ applications and power them by php/ mysql is something i can enjoy every day.
I have lots more personal features about myself availible at this page.

Posts like these make this forum a fun place to hang out :roll:

Last edited by redhair on Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:01 pm 
Forum Contributor

Hey I'm a multimedia design student living in Melbourne Australia, I can design but I cant really code... so I'm trying to learn some php, and MySQL, with alot of help form you people here at this forum... hehe still having problems with my first proper script... hehe ohwell... I'll get there one day maybe :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:44 am 
Forum Commoner

Hello everyone, my name is Marvin Vek.

I'm from The Netherlands, Heerlen, live in a student-house where i administrate the internet and network connection and provide extra services like a Debian Gnu/Linux server, for providing webservices with a MySQL database and PHP support, for example.

I'm a 21 year old IT student, started in 1999 with the education, but didn't do much first year, or 2. I started learning PHP about a month or two ago, had a minor experience from basic lessons in programming at school.

I love PHP for the fact it is so structural and neat like C, the opposite of ASP which i hate, it's simply a mess.

My OS? Well, besides the Debian Gnu/Linux server, i use Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional on my personal, but i'm looking for an non-MS OS and enough cross-platform software to replace this. Still think it's going to be Debian.

I'm creating a portal in PHP for a company, with a module to replace a buggy application they have. I built it very very very modular, and will improve and expand it, it's already at the grade of a CMS, and that's what it's going to be for myself, as my own project at home.

I don't play guitar (like most people here it seems), i play winamp. Ow, and i luuuv to play with my girlfriend and drinking too much of +40% alcohol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:20 am 
Forum Contributor

Hi All,
I am John Mozurkewich. I was in the Army for four years and served in the first Gulf War in a heavy combat unit. I got out of the Army in 1991, started college and found that following the Grateful Dead was much more fun. After an unknown amount of time I found a job and eventually quit to go back to college a few years ago. While in college I went to work for a company where I was introduced to the many wonders of PHP. I think that was right around the time Jason started the first forum for newbie's to PHP but I could be wrong. Either way, these forums were nothing close to what they are now. Thanks Jason.
I graduated from college ( Central Michigan University ) a few months ago at the ripe old age of 33. I immediately got a job as the DBA for Midland Public Schools here in Michigan.
I am a *nix head dealing with SGI's Irix, Linux, HP-Unix, and now SCO. For some reason I keep ending up working with Informix databases along the way but we also use Sql Server, and Access here at my new job.
I was using PHP at my last job for web development but I have no need for that here so I use it solely for command line work and scripts for server maintenance.

That's me in a nut shell....

Don't Ease

John M

P.S. I also used to play in a band. The bass was my weapon of choice, but I have been known to pick up an acoustic six string now an again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:59 am 

My name is Bill Mill (yup it rhymes). I'm a student at Ursinus College, headed into my senior year of a computer science degree. I have developed fairly significant programs in C/C++/Java/PHP/Python, and have dabbled in other languages. I'd like to learn some functional programming when I get a chance (Haskell, Scheme, or Lisp, probably). I would like to eventually become a professor of artificial intelligence, specifically in the field of machine learning, I think.

As for PHP, last summer I developed both a front and a back end for the company I was interning with. I found this board, asked a few questions, learned a lot on my own, and eventually found myself answering questions. By the end of the summer, I was pretty much a zen PHP guru, and used a star wars style hand wave to convince twinglet to make me a moderator. Since then, I've not used PHP much except for a few small scripts for my website, so I don't answer as many questions as I used to. However, I still lurk round these parts when I can. While Volka, BDKR, Twinglet and the others are PHP heroes, I am merely a PHP pirate.

Outside of this forum, I play ultimate frisbee competitively (see sig). This summer, my school is paying me to do research on machine learning, so I have a pretty sweet deal. I also like to snowboard, read, write, program, eat, and drink.

Nice to meet you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:37 pm 
Her Royal Site Adminness

Since I posted this thread I really should add my info to it so here it goes.

Hi, people call me Mac and I'm 26 years old. I'm currently an Essex girl but I grew up in South Africa and also lived in Hungary for a few years. I graduated uni with a degree in Chemical Engineering but decided I liked playing with computers more than doing glorified plumbing... I'm pretty much totally self taught, the only structured programming learning I've ever done was LOGO - when I was 7, and I've been doing PHP since 2001.

I work as a senior web developer for a local council. I do mainly backend PHP, MySQL stuff but I also spend a lot of time cleaning up HTML code and making sure that everything passes accessibility tests (we've got an RNIB award to maintain 8) ).

Spare time is spent playing computer/PS 2 games, looking after a couple of mad rats, cats and fish.

Mac

Edit due to being completely out of date :)

Last edited by twigletmac on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:57 pm 
Forum Regular

me = Jim

I'm 26 in Los Angeles, CA. I work as a full time php/mysql web developer for an ecommerce site. I also have a freelance company called litfuel (http://www.litfuel.net) that I do php/mysql freelance for.

I'm online all day and usually quite bored after hours of coding. I didn't know crap when I came to this site and now our site has done over 1 million in online sales since november with the custom ecom application I built.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:18 pm 
Forum Contributor

Scott Bukoski. 29. I live in the USA in Massachusetts. I've been doing PHP stuff primarily for myself the past couple of years. All self taught. There isn't a lot of work up here right now that uses PHP unfortunately, but I keep looking.

I also started out as a Chemical Engineering major but switched gears when I discovered I liked computers much more than memorizing charts and tables.

My first programming language was pascal as that is what they taught to get you introduced. I'm now an avid Delphi fan. Worked for a tax software company doing Delphi programming for a year before I left for more money at my current company. I do mostly VBScript, XML and SQL coding. Not bad, but if I could find that nice PHP job I'd leave her for less money in a second.

My free time is taken up by Camping/Canoeing. Love sports. Unfortunately I'm a red Sox fan, so I'll probably die unhappy and bitter since all lifelong Sox fans seem to be that way. I'm also into gaming and play AD&D occassionally as well as a sci-fi game called BattleTech. Also have a future Mrs. as well as 3 kids. Plenty of stuff to keep me busy.

Last edited by SBukoski on Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:21 pm 
Forum Regular

ya know if we could combine all our skills into one company we'd be a powerhouse ;)

Post subject: scott
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:58 pm 
DevNet Resident

incase you can't figure out my name from my handle is Scott and I currently am living on Vancouver Island( on the west coast of Canada, for those of you who might be geograpicaly impared).

I have been php programming for the last 2.5 years and am part owner of a web development company that is final about to start making some money from our own in house project.

currently I don't have any real intrest other then the business because any one who has started a business know you don't do much else but get the business going.

phpScott

yeah I am finally a professional programmer. 250 big posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:27 am 
PHP Evangelist

Hi,

I've been a web designer since '98. I love the learning experience and design creativity of web design/programming, not really into this to make some cash. My real area of interest is computer hardware. I've been a php'er ever since i bought this bookfrom the local bookstore about a year ago to enhance my web sites and take this hobby to the next level (i think it's an official obbession now...heh). In college right now working my way towards a degree in business/computers.

I joined this forum nearly a year ago. I answer questions as much as possible to help the open source movement out whever i'm bored. I don't post much on here anymore since i've been real busy plus there is so many other great helpers far more qualified than me. ;)

...i guess that's me. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next