PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:27 am 
Forum Commoner

Hi there,

I have a couple of web pages created but when I am previewing them in internet browser, the web pages somehow not fitting the screen when I trying to display them with different pc.

Meaning to say, if I create web page using larger screen pc and the webpage cant be fully preview when using a smaller screen pc. How can I make my web pages fit the screen flexibly?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:55 am 

You could set the width to a percentage value rather than a static value, though this may introduce new challenges. Alternately, use a fixed width but scale it down a little.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 am 
DevNet Master

If you set the width of a element to 100% is will auto-fit the screen that you are viewing the page one; one of the issues you will face is to make sure that the width of any container doesn't exceed 100%. Any padding that you add is added to the width value so a padding-left value of 5% and a width value of 100% the total width of the page will be 105% and will give you the horizontal scrollbar of death at the bottom of the page

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:17 am 
Forum Newbie

I use Blueprint, which has a standard width of 950px. This width should work in all browsers, although different monitors you'll obviously get a different amount of whitespace.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:53 am 
DevNet Resident

You've got 320px on iPhone and 2560px + on large monitors.

You can use HTML5 & CSS3 media queries for scaling. A 980px container is optimized for any resolutions higher than 1024px and you can use media queries to see if the view port is smaller than 980px. Then you can layout a "Normal", a "Narrow" and a "Mobile" layout. Naturally IE8 and older you have to use Javascript to detect the display size, but other browsers can use CSS3. This is a pretty good tutorial: http://webdesignerwall.com/tutorials/re ... ia-queries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:39 pm 
Jack of Zircons

You can never win this game. Not everybody runs their browser full-screen; I seldom do, because i like to have some of my desktop visible so I can easily switch windows or launch from a desktop shortcut. So my advice is don't worry too much about it, you'll never perfectly fit everybody's view of your website, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:16 pm 
DevNet Resident

The viewport is the size of the browser window, not the screen. So the technique I describe adapts to your browser's visual area.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm 
Jack of Zircons