PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:20 pm 
DevNet Resident

I don't know what went wrong, it used to work. I'm using iepngfix to fix the background pngs in IE6, it seems it's causing my site to go all screwy.

The thing is it was working before, but now, for some reason, it's not. It was working before I resized my sites width from 700 and something to 900.

Basically, I'm posting asking to get some tips and suggestions from you guys, maybe you know something I don't.

I'd appreciate it if you have a look at it.

http://treasuremaptrading.com

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by JellyFish on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:25 am 
DevNet Resident

IE6 is dead...it's been long dead! In fact IE7 is also trash and IE8 once finished will be behind Firefox 1.0 (with Gecko 1.7!) and we're now on Gecko 1.9.

Any way all you really need to know is here...
http://www.jabcreations.com/web/web-ieccss.php

Have fun. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:39 pm 
DevNet Resident

I'm using IECCSS detect IE6 and set some css rules for iepngfix:

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]

<!--[if lt IE 7]>
            <style type="text/css">
                #top, #middle, #bottom {
                    behavior: url('/lib/iepngfix_v2/iepngfix.htc');
                }
                img, .pngFix {
                    behavior: url('/lib/iepngfix/iepngfix.htc');
                }
            </style>
            <script type="text/javascript" src="/lib/iepngfix_v2/iepngfix_tilebg.js"></script>
        <![endif]-->

When I remove this from my page(s) the background centers correctly but the PNGs aren't transparent. It must be iepngfix that's goofing up, but why? All I did was resized my sites width and resized the background images width, and now it's messing up.

Has anyone here ever worked with iepngfix before, and are familiar with it's quirks?

Anyway, thanks for your reply JAB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:26 pm 
DevNet Resident

You need to post that it's a PNG issue if it's a PNG issue in your thread. I have IE8 installed so that means it's disabled all my standalones so I really can't help you beyond secondary CSS. I've never gotten IE6 to work standalone, IE 4,5,5.5, and 7 though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:59 pm 
DevNet Resident

Have you ever tried IETester? I'm using that to test all my website for IE.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:30 pm 
Forum Contributor

Hi JellyFish.
Did you see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/index.htm Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:14 am 
Forum Regular

I just had the exact same problem some days ago. The solution was to use conditional comments!

Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]

<!--[if IE 6]>

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
img { behavior: url(lib/iepngfix_v2/iepngfix.htc) }
</style>
<![endif]-->

Also this will make your css validate as well, as behavior is a MS custom css command.

If you don't want to use conditional comments define the width and height of ALL your images (and also from your dynamic images using PHP) before using iepngfix.htc as IE7 will stretch them out.

Quote:

Confirmed it does not work. The only PNG script I found to work is the one Jellyfish uses.

Quote:
IE6 is dead...it's been long dead! In fact IE7 is also trash and IE8 once finished will be behind Firefox 1.0 (with Gecko 1.7!) and we're now on Gecko 1.9.

Wait, what? IE8 will use the Gecko engine?? 8O
Btw yeah IE6 is dead, but many clients want it supported because they say people don't have IE7. [cough] have pirated Windows [/cough] :/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:43 pm 
DevNet Resident

Thanks for all your post on this.

@Sindarin: I'm using the conditional comments to use both iepngfix version 1 and 2.

But I'm glad to announce that it appears to be working on IE6 and IE7 that I've tested. What I had to do was redesign the whole layout architecture. Before it was crap with <html> inside another <html>. Now that I've redesigned it, it works, but not on IE5. But sense you say that IE6 is dead now, IE5 ought to be deader...

Is IE6 really dead? According to W3's Browser Statistics IE6 still has half IE's market share (Firefox at almost 50% :D). IE6 is decreasing by roughly 1% every month, but still is alive no?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:18 pm 
Forum Regular

Quote:
But I'm glad to announce that it appears to be working on IE6 and IE7 that I've tested. What I had to do was redesign the whole layout architecture.

IE7 has built-in PNG support that's why I suggested using conditional comments for IE6 only.

Quote:
Before it was crap with <html> inside another <html>.

Following W3 standards will save you a lot of work.

Quote:
Now that I've redesigned it, it works, but not on IE5. But sense you say that IE6 is dead now, IE5 ought to be deader...

Don't bother about IE5. It should vanish from the face of Earth along with IE6 next. It's up to us Web Developers to achieve this!

Quote:
Is IE6 really dead? According to W3's Browser Statistics IE6 still has half IE's market share (Firefox at almost 50% :D). IE6 is decreasing by roughly 1% every month, but still is alive no?

Well think that IE6 comes pre-installed (as it is part of the Operating System) to most Windows XP installations. But then MS uses Windows Update to update IE to version 7. However some users select no without being aware of the insecurities of IE6 and the new features and fixes of IE7.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 pm 
DevNet Resident

Sindarin wrote:
IE7 has built-in PNG support that's why I suggested using conditional comments for IE6 only.

That's what I'm doing. :wink:

Sindarin wrote:

Right, but could I get some more resources on this topic though?

Sindarin wrote:
Well think that IE6 comes pre-installed (as it is part of the Operating System) to most Windows XP installations. But then MS uses Windows Update to update IE to version 7. However some users select no without being aware of the insecurities of IE6 and the new features and fixes of IE7.

Doesn't this mean that IE6 is a cockroach? People are dumb(<<I thought about deleting this part but I just can't. So sorry and no offense.) and they don't really care about upgrading anything, unless it has some apparent effect on them. But when it's the for the sake of better, newer technologies, the average person wont care. So when someone buys XP they get IE6 so why would they want to upgrade anything if they can save some time in their live and go watch youtube, because youtube still works in IE6? Am I wrong or then how can we say IE6 is dying?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:07 am 
Forum Regular

Quote:

Right, but could I get some more resources on this topic though?

Browsers are slowly following the standards. You following those standards it'll mean your site will work on future browsers and it's like a time-proof guarantee you give to your client.

Quote:
People are dumb

People are pirating, that's the problem. When first IE7 came out, it was allowed to be installed only on genuine machines. So...yeah many people did not upgrade. :? Now that is validation-free, still people using illegal OSes are afraid of this process and won't do it.

Quote:
they don't really care about upgrading anything, unless it has some apparent effect on them

Also true.