PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:09 pm 
Forum Commoner

hi, i am about to rewrite an application that was written in zend 1.8. the owner complains that its quite slow so his default reaction is to rewrite it in any other framework of my choosing. the application is sometimes slow because they have not implemented any caching mechanism at all. i am a zend fan, although i think its way too big, but now im am forced to consider another framework. which of these frameworks do you guys prefer and why?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:17 pm 
Forum Contributor

I havent worked with third-party frameworks a lot because they provide you with a DB abstraction layer which I think is unnecessary and should be user-customizable. Whatever framework you choose it is important to note that, business logic/models (and preferably the presentation layer/view) must be agnostic to the framework. So if tomorrow you change your framework, you are not re-writing the code from ground zero.

Zend is prefered because it's not really a framework, its a library (so you can choose what components/apis you want to use and what you don't want to use), and it's developed and maintained by the PHP folks (atleaset a few of them are I'm sure). Any bugs, or anything new in PHP releases, zend should pick it up faster and incorporate changes in their framework accordingly.

Caching is a must for websites with huge content and pages and a good framework will provide you with that option. Although I do agree that using Zend framework your application can get slow without caching (assuming your code has no issues contributing to the slowness of your app). I would suggest identifying parts of your code where you think using Zend classes is an overkill and use native calls, or optimize the functions. But if all else fails and the owner doesn't want to use a cache provider, I would recommend using a lightweight framework (I'm guessing codeigniter compared to symphony).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:37 am 
Forum Commoner

Codelgnitor is pretty easy and user-friendly. So, i would prefer it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:39 pm 
Site Administrator

Zend is very modular and good if you want to extend it to create your own customized framework. CodeIgniter is the most lightweight and easiest to learn. Symfony2 is full-stack so the most integrated.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:51 am 
Forum Contributor

Go for codeIgniter, it's easy to learn and simple

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:26 pm 
Forum Newbie

I am no fan of frameworks - especially if you are beginning, avoid them.

However among them all I will always pick Zend, closer to the PHP development team.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:34 am 
Forum Newbie

I usually use symphony, as it provides the best user friendly customization.