PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:53 pm 
DevNet Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:56 pm 
DevNet Evangelist

OK I am looking at my router config...seems DHCP starts at 192.168.1.100 and allows for a max number of DHCP users.

So do I change this value to 192.168.1.101 and use 192.168.1.100 as my static IP for the Debian server?

I would then configure the debian server /etc/networking/interfaces to use 192.168.1.100 as a static IP?

I'm still confused though, as to how the router knows to send requests for that IP to a static IP and now a DHCP -- without resorting to port forwarding???

EDIT | Once I have saved these changes do I need to reboot the router and computers connected to it, so they all get new assignments?

Cheers,
Alex

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:08 am 
Forum Contributor

I don't know about your particular model linksys but many dhcp servers allow you to reserve a specific LAN IP by MAC address. In effect the DHCP server will provide the specified computer with a static ip.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:31 am 
DevNet Master

Doug G ++ :)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:33 am 
DevNet Evangelist

VladSun: So in my router config I can indicate that a static IP should be used for computer with a MAC address that matches my server. Do I still change any settings in /etc/network/interfaces???

I read some more as I understand, the computer when booting would tell the router which IP it wanted to use, so long as it wasn't with in the range of dynamic IP's???

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:16 pm 
DevNet Master

With MAC/IP pairing it's pure DHCP used again, but the IP you have 'reserved' is no longer available in the DHCP pool - it's only available for DHCP request with the specified MAC source address.
So, you don't need to make any changes to any of your workstations.

In my router DHCP MAC/IP pairing could be found in
IP Config -> DHCP Server -> Assign IP Address Manually

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:30 pm 
Site Administrator

I've also noticed that if you assigned a static IP to a box with a router configured for DHCP, the router will give that box the requested IP if it's not already in use.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:52 pm 
DevNet Evangelist

Still not sure what to do or change...here is a screenshot of my router config panel:

I can select "static IP" from the automatic configuration drop down but I'm afraid once I do that all IP's will be sttaic not just the one machine....and of course I cannot find any docs for my router. :P

EDIT | I have googled the linksys web site and searched their knowledgebase and found nothing about assigning a single computer a static IP...seems my best bet would be to increment the starting IP address by one (192.168.1.101) and setup my debian computer to use 192.168.1.100 in /etc/network/interfaces???

Attachments:
screen1.PNG
screen1.PNG [ 53.46 KiB | Viewed 4383 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:39 pm 
DevNet Evangelist

So I did as I stated above...added the appropriate config to /etc/network/interfaces and bumped the IP DHCP by one and use that addy for the static IP...voila everything seems to work...and I've gained valuable experience in Linux networking...:)