PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:02 pm 
Forum Commoner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:39 am 
DevNet Master

You're jealous because this guy is making a good living with relatively little effort. Is it ethical? Maybe not. Is there really much you can do? No. Focus on you. Have you heard the saying "you do you, im going to do me"? You need to worry about what you're doing not what this guy is doing. $150 for a wordpress install? I'd charge $1,000. If you don't like it you're free to undercut me, or try to offer a competing solution ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:19 am 
Forum Commoner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:00 am 
DevNet Master

If you think he's morally wrong for charging too much, you should charge a small amount. Its not morally wrong to compete with other businesses. If anything its wrong to with-hold your affordable services from the market. If you feel bad about his customers paying too much, do something about it by giving his customers an affordable alternative. Business is like a sport, yeah its a competition but we don't look at a ball player and say he is in the wrong for playing ball.

Once you actually do a few jobs you might realize you have to charge as much as him too, to keep up with demand & provide the quality work a high end client expects. Look at this way there are garbage men that make $1,000 a week in some places, because of the difficulty & risk of the work involved.

If you really want to change how it is, start a business helping people fix their crapily coded sites. Use your profits to start a political lobbying interest, put out public service ads helping people get educated on what to look for in their web designer, or start a non profit site helping people learn what good/bad sites are, and rank different designers. You get the idea. Profit first, then comes power. In a way wouldn't it be better for you to get the $1,000 client instead of him, because you're doing better work and using the money to do good deeds?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:10 pm 
Forum Commoner

Those are very good points and have changed a lot of my feelings toward the situation. I'll consider all of that.