PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beer website
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:09 pm 
Forum Regular

Now this isn't something I had any involvement in, but I was interested in canvassing opinions:

Kokanee Beer website

Obviously a fair amount of wonga has been spent on the site, but what do you think in terms of usability? I found the date of birth input awkward to say the least, yet the site does look good.

Post subject: Re: Beer website
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:15 pm 
Jack of Zircons

It's certainly clever. I agree that it's awkward, but clearly their purpose is to grab your attention, and it does that. I have one major complaint, though -- they have made it impossible for me to enter my birthdate! The years only go back to '30!!! :lol: :drunk:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:14 pm 
Site Administrator

I think the Kokanee Beer website is horrible. I would go so far as to say that the Kokanee Beer website is an example of what is worst about the Internet. It takes a long time to load. It plays an interminable intro movie and requires you to figure out its obscure navigation. And then when you get to their excessive main menu there is very little behind it. The first item just shows a single image. The second item takes you to another site and makes you verify your age again. The other links just show a couple movies and pictures. Woo hoo ... they have a Facebook page ... wow!

If Kokanee Beer beer is anything like the website then the beer is probably horrible. I thought these kinds of Flash sites were a thing of the past. Truly awful.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:21 pm 
Forum Regular

My thoughts were much the same.

I'd bet that a not inconsiderable sum of money was spent developing it nonetheless, and would love to know how the whole concept was pitched, what quality controls and checks (or lack of) were applied etc- after all a business wants a good ROI so surely they wouldn't just blindly agree to bad ideas without going through some kind of formalized process?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:23 pm 
Forum Regular

Actually, maybe that isn't giving credit where credit is due and actually the website is a kind of extension of getting drunk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:23 pm 
Jack of Zircons

Well, you must admit that NOW you know the name Kokanee! That's the objective of most advertising, name recognition. Even when it irritates many people, such advertising has been proven over and over again to benefit the advertiser. Think stupid TV/radio commercials. Why do they do it? Because it works.

I went back to look at it again and this time logged in (lying about my age, choosing '30 for the year!). It didn't require me to confirm my age, but the second page I tried to view froze my browser. So it's sure a terrible website, but you know what? I learned the name of a Canadian beer. Not that I'm likely to buy it. If I buy an imported beer, it's likely to be Czech or German. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:53 pm 
Forum Regular

califdon wrote:
Well, you must admit that NOW you know the name Kokanee! That's the objective of most advertising, name recognition.

Fair point. From that perspective, mission accomplished.

califdon wrote:
But you know what? I learned the name of a Canadian beer. Not that I'm likely to buy it. If I buy an imported beer, it's likely to be Czech or German. :wink:

Totally off-topic, but having just moved from the UK to BC I am really enjoying the beer scene out here. Good micro-brewery scene and some really good beers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:14 pm 
Jack of Zircons

greyhoundcode wrote:
Totally off-topic, but having just moved from the UK to BC I am really enjoying the beer scene out here. Good micro-brewery scene and some really good beers.
Well, first, welcome to North America! I live probably 1,000 miles directly South of you. But what can we expect from someone who drinks their ale at room temperature? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:25 pm 
Forum Regular

califdon wrote:
But what can we expect from someone who drinks their ale at room temperature? :mrgreen:

I find pouring the beer into a glass and giving it a 20 second blast in the microwave staves off homesickness. Just kidding :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:12 pm 
Site Administrator

greyhoundcode wrote:

The entire Pacific Northwest is beer-vana! People who don't live there, don't know what they are missing.

(#10850)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:29 pm 
Forum Regular

Yeah I'm impressed, no doubt about it. Some excellent stuff out this way.