PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.
 
Loading
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:03 pm 
Offline
Forum Contributor

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 pm
Posts: 102
Hi,

I have gathered this list of sources to learn php 7. I have ranked according to priority I am giving.

Do you pros mind checking them out and then give your own ranking hich onees you give priority to as a good learning source ?

Btw, these sources never say if they are teaching OOP or Procedural Php 7. Which one should I learn (OOP or Procedural) ?

If you were in my place, as a complete beginner in php, which resources would you use yourself ?


Books

Not sure if these books are any good for complete beginners:


Free Books
https://www.eduonix.com/courses/Web-Dev ... om-Scratch

Paid Books
https://www.packtpub.com/mapt/book/Appl ... 1785880544
https://leanpub.com/php7fromscratch/read_sample

Online Tutorials
http://www.tutorialspoint.com/php7/
http://www.phptherightway.com/

Video Tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVk4_rv ... amn0XgFibd
http://www.shawacademy.com/web-developm ... -page=true
http://findnerd.com/account/#url=/list/ ... -1/3513/78

Who Have Been Making Me Recommendations:
http://findnerd.com/account/#url=/list/ ... ers/27841/
http://findnerd.com/account/#url=/list/ ... ers/27864/

If you want to get an idea why I want to learn php 7 then read the comment posted by Bangali Beta here:
https://www.sitepoint.com/learn-php-7-f ... -and-more/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:11 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:39 pm
Posts: 6249
Location: Montreal, Canada
PHP: The Right Way is always a good resource.
John Lockhart's Modern PHP is a great book, though it may be aimed more at intermediate devs.

If you like video tutorials, Jeffrey Way over at Laracasts has some great content.
Check out his PHP for beginners series to learn the basics of the language, and then check out his PHP 7 Up and Running series for coverage of the changes introduced in PHP 7.

Quote:
Btw, these sources never say if they are teaching OOP or Procedural Php 7. Which one should I learn (OOP or Procedural) ?

Procedural is often easier to get your head around but can lead to some pretty messy code (everything I've seen from you has been procedural). It is pretty common to start with procedural and then "graduate" to OOP, which will give you a better appreciation of the problems it solves.

_________________
Supported PHP versions No longer supported versions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:47 pm 
Offline
Forum Contributor

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 pm
Posts: 102
Celauran wrote:
PHP: The Right Way is always a good resource.
John Lockhart's Modern PHP is a great book, though it may be aimed more at intermediate devs.

If you like video tutorials, Jeffrey Way over at Laracasts has some great content.
Check out his PHP for beginners series to learn the basics of the language, and then check out his PHP 7 Up and Running series for coverage of the changes introduced in PHP 7.

Quote:
Btw, these sources never say if they are teaching OOP or Procedural Php 7. Which one should I learn (OOP or Procedural) ?

Procedural is often easier to get your head around but can lead to some pretty messy code (everything I've seen from you has been procedural). It is pretty common to start with procedural and then "graduate" to OOP, which will give you a better appreciation of the problems it solves.




Thank you.
So, this is php 7 the official orthodix way and not Laravel's framework way ?
https://laracasts.com/series/php-for-beginners


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:39 pm
Posts: 6249
Location: Montreal, Canada
There is no "PHP7 orthodox way". It's not a thing. PHP 7 added a handful of new things (eg. scalar typehints, return type declarations), removed a few things that had previously been deprecated (eg. mysql_ functions), but most of the changes were performance improvements under the hood. The engine got considerably better. That's great, but it's not going to impact how you go about learning the language. Good quality PHP 5 tutorials are really where you're going to learn the most. Doesn't matter if they're books, blog posts, videos. However you learn best is fine. Once you've got the basics of PHP understood, you will find it easy to implement the handful of changes introduced by 7.

_________________
Supported PHP versions No longer supported versions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 pm 
Offline
Forum Contributor

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 pm
Posts: 102
Celauran wrote:
There is no "PHP7 orthodox way". It's not a thing. PHP 7 added a handful of new things (eg. scalar typehints, return type declarations), removed a few things that had previously been deprecated (eg. mysql_ functions), but most of the changes were performance improvements under the hood. The engine got considerably better. That's great, but it's not going to impact how you go about learning the language. Good quality PHP 5 tutorials are really where you're going to learn the most. Doesn't matter if they're books, blog posts, videos. However you learn best is fine. Once you've got the basics of PHP understood, you will find it easy to implement the handful of changes introduced by 7.



Thank you. Other programmers been telling me the same. To learn from php 5 sites but I nodd my head because out of ignorance I will learn the php deprecated stuffs that are no longer in php 7 and so was looking for a php 7 tut site that will teach php from beginning ridding the deprecated stuffs but no site or book or vid available apart from php.net which is really not a proper tut for beginners but more of a reference guide for pros like you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:45 pm 
Offline
Forum Contributor

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:29 am
Posts: 326
Maybe look for reviews of the $20 PHP 7 version of http://www.hackingwithphp.com/

The free book that is the website itself seems good but it also seems to be from before PDO was popular.

_________________
Warning: I have no idea what I'm talking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:12 pm 
Offline
Forum Newbie

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:11 am
Posts: 3
The best PHP7 tutorial that i recommend is

https://www.udemy.com/oop-object-orient ... 0-DISCOUNT

it covers complete object oriented part of PHP7. All topics have been discussed in detail. You must check this tutorial. This is one of the best tutorial in PHP7 :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:38 pm 
Offline
Forum Contributor

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:29 am
Posts: 326
sobiaiqbal786 wrote:
The best PHP7 tutorial that i recommend is

https://www.udemy.com/oop-object-orient ... 0-DISCOUNT

it covers complete object oriented part of PHP7. All topics have been discussed in detail. You must check this tutorial. This is one of the best tutorial in PHP7 :)


I will take your suggestion as a refresher since I haven't really studied all the OOP features since the early days of PHP5. But it's really only the equivalent of 1 chapter's worth of information in a FULL php course/tutorial.

_________________
Warning: I have no idea what I'm talking about.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group