PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 am 
Forum Newbie

Hi

I want to make a php function that Takes Text as input and then check that text on google. if it find results return True else false,

Is it possible ? please give me some help to start work on it.

i shall be thank full to you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:43 am 
Forum Contributor

Everythings possible I think you might wanna look into the google api http://code.google.com/apis/ on there you might be able to find an api to search google with but how you get the results i wouldnt know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:42 am 
Forum Regular

As Peter says you can (no doubt) do this with Google, but for what it is worth I found Yahoo's search APIs to be very straightforward to implement. Are you developing something similar to Copyscape?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:22 am 
Forum Newbie

Yes I am developing the same as CopyScape but I think copyscape does not work with google search.

I check this by google. Google return me 1 result of a paragraph but copyscape return me 7 results. so I believe copyscape has some thing different technique

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:17 am 
Forum Regular

If all you are doing is copying and pasting a paragraph to use in a regular Google search that doesn't surprise me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 am 
DevNet Master

When I used to plagiarize in grade school / high school I'd use a thesaurus to change words around, I'd rewrite every other sentence in my own words, leave whole paragraphs out, change the order of sentences etc.

Your algorithm would have to basically do the inverse of all those operations. The more I scramble it the harder the problem is for you to solve until it eventually becomes NP-complete (That is, the time required to solve the problem using any currently known algorithm increases very quickly as the size of the problem grows) Not even some humans could solve the puzzle of who wrote Josh's papers ;-)

Even copyscape fails. It shows me sites my text ads are running on, I don't consider that plagiarism! lol. If they embed my whole text and put a link back they aren't plagiarizing anything. This problem is NP-complex and a whole research paper could be written about why it'll never work 100% (I'd plagiarize the research paper though :twisted: )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:20 am 
Forum Regular

+1 what Josh said.

Even in looking for verbatim excerpts from your or someone else's work I don't think copying and pasting paragraphs into Google is the way to go; after all, generally people don't enter complete paragraphs when they are conducting searches, they enter key terms that are relevant to what they are looking for.

If I were creating something akin to Copyscape, I think I would take the source URL and use something like the BOSS API (or equivalent from Google, etc) to help derive a list of relevant key words (ie, the key words people are using to find the source material). Then I might conduct fresh searches with those same keywords, or variations of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:24 pm 
Forum Newbie

Since copyscape is leader in this industry its hard to find an alternative to it with that quality but i know a plagiarism checker tool that is developed in PHP using google search engine to check the duplicate content. hope that will help a bit.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]