PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Assignments
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:43 pm 
Forum Contributor

edit patrikG: this thread originated at http://forums.devnetwork.net/viewtopic.php?t=27687 It's been split to keep poll focused as well as not loose the suggestions you have been making so far in this thread.

Me and my big mouth, can't just pass trough this great opportunity - to get attention
:D

My suggestion is - make a topic or a forum just for brain-storm: someone posts an assignment (but not so trivial/easy) and all those who are interested can try them self in it. And after and during the posting - you (mod's and admin's) can see how good is the knowledge of forum users - and based on that to get major guidelines whether to add some code to the snippets, or provide some usefull - hard to find links, or any other info providing or help giving action needed to (majority of) users.

But note - to make this usefull - and not give you assignments to check every possible bit of code any person can write, do well in the structuring of the tasks to be done.

Why did I proposed this - I personaly like to learn from examles and numerous tries, and I am especialy motivated to learn many functions and commands if I know the goal that I will achieve when I learn them.

That's all for the management and psyhology for now, if anything of this is usefull to the "head" guy's and gall's - reply with comments, so we make it better.

See ya.

Post subject: Re: ....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:50 am 
Forum Contributor

Hi,
Calimero wrote:
My suggestion is - make a topic or a forum just for brain-storm: someone posts an assignment (but not so trivial/easy) and all those who are interested can try them self in it. And after and during the posting - you (mod's and admin's) can see how good is the knowledge of forum users - and based on that to get major guidelines whether to add some code to the snippets, or provide some usefull - hard to find links, or any other info providing or help giving action needed to (majority of) users.

But note - to make this usefull - and not give you assignments to check every possible bit of code any person can write, do well in the structuring of the tasks to be done.

:( The problem i see with that is,
How do you get everybody to do these assignments,
While I am quite interested in helping people in these forums,
I simply would not have the time to write up the answers,
while still helping people and doing my own work.

Also this is a huge task to ask of the big wigs,
The idea is still a good one, though any outcome would
likely be statistically weak for a number of reasons.

PS: the site should still cater for everybody :wink:

AnarKy.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:09 am 
Forum Contributor

Let's see - I you can't achieve to check 10 assignments per day, make only 1 assignment in 10 days. 8)

This was an idea to use like this:

See the most likely problems to majority, and maybe divide them into 3 categories (beginner, advanced, pro), and make one assignment - to run for one month - or so.

Not everyone would work on it - so there will be no need to work on answers for many people, just those interested to work in that field/part of the PHP or whatever language.

These can later be used (pro category) to make some money, as snippet archive - or whatever the reader wish to use them.

Although - available time of the people who give answers on this forum is interesting topic, have you worked on some plans how to make it easier for you to "help others and help your self".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:49 am 
DevNet Resident

If people wanted to do something like Calimero suggested then it would probably be best to assign the week/month to a certain topic and then let people create things for that topic. So for example this week could be all to do with email, so people post code/classes/faq/how to's all about email - like how to send it, setting it up, different headers you can send, attaching a file in emails, how to see if the user has got the email, dealing with bouncing emails, what libraries are there that deal with email etc.

And then you have a week long push at teaching/creating resouces on everything to do with email in php. Then place all these posts in a forum and lock it so that we have a solid foundation of posts about email for people to look at when they need to - saves you crawling through all the other forums trying to find out how to do email stuff, as the forum search is a bit crap.

Post subject: ..
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:32 pm 
Forum Contributor

Something like that,

I would add - to place a link to the forum in which they are placed on homepage.

Place all of these topics in a separate forum and/or in CODE SNIPPETS forum.

I would dis-agree to lock them - if someone joins this forum later and/or someone thinks of interesting idea - why not let them just to add them, just mark the Topic with STOP post - that says that posts until this one are "from trusted origin" - or something like that :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:09 pm 
DevNet Master

I agree that this can be useful

But, it's almost possible to find everything in the php manual or through a websearch... The posts i've seen on this forum usually came from people that were unwilling/unable to find the information out there. And i doubt they would find it overhere...

For example: problems with register_globals - variables that disappear