PHP Developers Network

A community of PHP developers offering assistance, advice, discussion, and friendship.

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:25 pm 
DevNet Resident

So I've put off implementing "Remember Me" functionality for a long time over security concerns.

I've been using an HMAC-SHA1 based authenticator for my regular session authentication: ie a cookie with the following payload: identifier+expTime+MAC(identifier+expTime). The identifier is not predictable from either username/email/password or registration order. Thus even if someone brute forced the secret key, its roughly equally hard to traget a paticular user for impersonation and unlikely to generate a random, but existing user. expTime is normally 15-30 minutes from last access.

I've played with an automatically rotating authenticator hashing key, that retains the past key to avoid expiring active sessions when the key changes.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this system.

However, now I'm thinking about how I would implement the "Remember Me" type feature. My concerns with the these features is that you can't rotate the signing key in any meaningful way without invalidating all existing tokens. In principle you can't ever rotate the key .... this is bad as you can't constrain the window of vulnerability. While outright brute-force recovery of the secret key from HMAC-SHA1 is extremely unlikely, I don't like the open ended problem.

I know a few systems that force the once a year log-in, probably for this reason.

I've been thinking about using a per-user authenticator key in the DB, so that brute forcing any paticular user doesn't allow maseradeing as another user. The per-user authenticator key can then be rotated any time the user changes thier password (an action that should invalidate all their existing tokens).

Does anyone know of any more developed "best practices" for the long-lived "remember me" authenticators -- most web discussion focuses on the shortly lived ephemeral session authenticators...

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:30 pm 
Tutorials Group

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:55 pm 
DevNet Resident

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:42 pm 
Tutorials Group

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:16 pm 
DevNet Resident

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:27 pm 
DevNet Master

Hi nielsene - long time no see.

I'd personally be pretty relaxed about the risk of brute-forcing a private key (as long as it's a "strong" key which isn't vulnerable to dictionary attacks). When you consider other potential vulnerabilities like cookie theft, it doesn't look like the weakest link in the chain. Careful protection against cross site scripting in the rest of site would also be vital.

In case anyone else reading the thread is interested, here's a class which creates and checks signed messages:

----
edit: moved to .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:33 pm 
Forum Contributor

I think there is a middle way between remember me and security.

In a normal secured area there are certain parts that need to be more secure than others.

I inplement a remember function for the less important parts like memos and the daily stuff. If someone wants to view things like bank info or other important info I would reauthenticate once per session. Changing any data will always require using the password.

The main thing mostly overlooked is an important one. Most attacks aren't issued by an intruder form outside but come from the inside. Highjacking a cookie is really rare but finding the password at the top drawer of you collegue is much more frequent. A very tight security will have the user write the password down somewhere and people can easily find it. To low security might open brute force attemps. I think this is a problem that can never be solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:41 pm 
Forum Newbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:19 am 
DevNet Master

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:31 am 
Forum Newbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:23 pm 
DevNet Master

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:57 am 
DevNet Master

See, I think that's a pretty draconic approach. I salt the password, and then rotate salts every month so they must re-validate when a new month rolls around. Other than that, if they have a valid cookie, they're logged in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:15 am 
Forum Contributor

Which is a better way to store the identifier data in a "Remember Me" cookie, and why?

A) identifier+expTime+MAC(identifier+expTime)
B) 2-Way encryption(identifier)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:49 pm 
Site Admin