What happened with the single sing-on?

This forum is for discussing the future of the PHP Developer's Network, as well as for us to get your opinion on things.

This forum is not for asking programming related questions.

Moderator: General Moderators

adnoctum
Forum Newbie

What happened with the single sing-on?

Post by adnoctum »

Hi.

I am a big fan of all of you guys. Almost every day visit PHPDeveloper and use PHPClasses.org.

When PHPDevNetwork was launched you said that a single sing-on system (like Passport) will be built to join the three sites that created the network. I was hoping you had make some advances in that area and wanted to know more about that subject. Specialy I have some questions:

Have you all agreed on some information exchange format?
Is It some public XML format?
What solution have you in mind to create the cookie for the other sites?

I've been investigating this subject for a couple of months now and found a lot of proyects but nothing real yet. (I mean, a working product)

Thanks
jason
Site Admin

Post by jason »

As you can well imagine, what we want to do is not entirely easy. It's something we want to do, however, their are many issues to cover (not just technical, but also privacy/legal wise).

It's still my goal to get this working, however, I am going to work on it over time. So don't expect it any time soon (but we aren't dropping it from the todo list. :D )
ZaireWeb
Forum Newbie

Post by ZaireWeb »

If someone wrote a system, and passed it to you, would you consider using it?
jason
Site Admin

Post by jason »

The system would have to meet certain criteria. Essentially, it would have to be DB independant, system configurable, and as fast as can be (amongst other things).
ZaireWeb
Forum Newbie

Post by ZaireWeb »

Why not post a list of features/requirements it should have and have a little "compitition" ?

Good Idea Eh?
MattF
Forum Contributor

Post by MattF »

You should make a PHP script and give it to the admins of each dev network and it basically adds another field to the users table called "share" or something, and users can go to this page, log in and say that it's alright for the sites to share their data with one another, then the only problem would be merging usernames and stuff, I am a member of Evilwalrus and here and use mattford and mattF for usernames...... you would have to find a way of getting everyone to choose which one they prefer, but then what if someone on EW has John and someone on PHPClasses has John :( ?! Actually, I'll leave all these ideas to you, my head hurts :(
James Pelow
Site Admin

Post by James Pelow »

would it not just be a question of a common MySQL server for all the sites?

-James
jason
Site Admin

Post by jason »

Not really, as we can't assume all members current or future will be using MySQL. Nor do I wish to put all our eggs into one basic.
llimllib

one DB to rule them all

Post by llimllib »

It wouldn't really be putting all your eggs in one basket to standardize on mySQL as the user database. The individual sites can still all run their own DBs, they just have to make occasional queries to one "username server" when the user logs on. Once the user's logged on, they can store info in session vars, or have his user id point to information on their separate DBs. All you'd have to agree on is who would take care of the user server - if that goes down then the stuff would hit the fan.
Fast, reliable, *simple*, DB independent outside of 1 table, what criteria wouldn't that meet?
is_null
Forum Newbie

Post by is_null »

What about LDAP ?
Sorry for bump, it's the first result i got for phpDevnetwork on google ...